Savage 11/111 338 lapua case sticking problems

med7mmstw

New savage having problems with hornady factory ammo sticking in chamber.Savage took gun back and could not find any problem but did polish chamber have not had any problems with lapua brass i have reloaded except once before chamber was polished but hornady brass is still getting stuck.Savage told me to only use black hills ammo whats up with this. hornady has been very helpful in trying to help with this problem any other thoughts .This gun shoots great . But no real answer as to why cases keep getting stuck. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

the hornady brass is too soft and expands to your chamber too tightly. i had the same problem with my savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua then i reloaded some lapua brass and now everything is fine.

Thanks I hope this was problem but 1 Lapua got stuck fired about 50 rounds so far that was before chamber was polished .This has been going back and forth for about 2 mths now getting frustrated doesnt take much to bump case out but my buddy bought same gun and is having same problem. any thing else i could check

is bolt lift sticky at all? that would be a sign of over pressure and that could cause the brass to get stuck. are you using factory ammo?

Also try HSM 338 ammo...i use it in my AR30 and it shoots very good....never an issue...

Bolt seems fine after firing bolt lifts but pulls over brass , I have had 3 different lots of hornady factory 1-2 from each box stuck. New lapua brass 1 got stuck after reloding case 3 times others were fine using h 1000 and re 25 ,re22

will try .100 off lands nosler 250 acc bond seem to work best so far with lrx barnes coming on strong 265 but only loaded 3 so far

I too have a New Savage 110 HS precision and the Hornady cases I loaded for some breakin got stuck after firing as well. But the factory Fed Premium with Lapua brass did not. The bolt was not sticking on lift but had to tapped back to break loose..No signs of any overpressure. I have been reading on here about the soft Hornady brass.. any thoughts or advice?

I just picked up 338 110 BA.

Hornady factory loads stick about 30% or greater amount of the time.

Combination of the Chamber and soft Hornady Brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.