Savage 10 fcp hs 308 setup

Deer mangler

I'm wanting to get into long range shooting (500+). So I did some looking around and found a rifle I like and feels good to me. So I settled on the savage model 10 fcp hs in 308. Now what I need help with is, what base, rings, and scope should I put on this rifle. One scope I am looking at is vortex viper 6-24x50 ffp. Mostly cost. I am a diehard leupold man but I'm not wanting to wrap up tons of money just yet. So any input would be great.

Seekins base and 4-4 rings would be as good as you can get and save a few ounces from steel. A weaver tactical base and TPS tsr rings would also work and save about $100 over the seekins. Sightron or vortex pst 6-24x50 would be a great choice.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I think the next step after I get my gun get up and loads figured out. I want to take a longrange shooting course. So I can start off in the correct direction. I hope I can find a class near centeral illinois.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.