SAUM Loaders help

Wild Monkey

My Hornady Body Die measures .540" across at the base NOT .550". What does your Die measure? Brand?

Last edited:
My Hornady Body Die measures .540" across at the base NOT .550". What does your Die measure? Brand?
How do you expect the die to size brass? It has to be quite a but smaller dimensionally inside vs the fired brass thats going in. I believe my saum dies are 542 at the very bottom.

The most important dimension is what does your fired and unfired brass measure .200" up from the case head?
What does your die push the expansion line back to?
I bet your brass doesn't measure .550" just above the extraction groove either.

Cheers.

I just measured my FIRED brass .200" up from the case head, it measures .549".
Sized brass at the same point measures exactly the same, as does my 300RUM.
Unfired brass measures .545".

Cheers.

How do you expect the die to size brass? It has to be quite a but smaller dimensionally inside vs the fired brass thats going in. I believe my saum dies are 542 at the very bottom.
Are you dictating the Saum design must expand .010" inside the Chamber when fired? This seems like the Die Manufacturers are intentionally having everyone over work the Brass Highdrum? I was fairly certain the Norma RUM brass I have here measures .550", I'd have to dig some out Mania.

Are you dictating the Saum design must expand .010" inside the Chamber when fired? This seems like the Die Manufacturers are intentionally having everyone over work the Brass Highdrum? I was fairly certain the Norma RUM brass I have here measures .550", I'd have to dig some out Mania.
Do you think it's going to size the brass to the exact size of the die? It will not. You'll be quite lucky to get the base sized 004-005 under chamber diameter at the 200 line.