Satisfied Savage owners - speak out!

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Savage has such a great reputation for making an out-of-the-box accurate factory rifle. Especially now that they have not only the floating bolt head and the Accutrigger but also the Accustock with its superior bedding system.

Here is a great review of the Accustock:

Savage Arms Accustock Review

So I am curious to see what you satisfied Savage owners have to say.

Satisfied Savage owners - speak out in this thread!

Last edited:
I plan to get the 110 tactical series. The accustocks were late to the gunshops so there are not many that will be able to comment on actual experience at this point. I have seen threads on other forums that were very positive.

I love all of my Savages. From my great grandfathers model 99 in 250 Savage to my 112 with a tactical stock and a 8" twist 7mmWSM shilen barrel.

I have always had a fondness for Savage Arms. I have owned many over the years. I was given a Model 99 in 300 cal., I knew the man that bought it when he was a young fella; it has taken many deer over the years and to this day will send a good tight group with factory ammo. Of course, to me its like being with an old friend once more.

I've had a few Savages, and I've loved them all. The ones who are no longer with me (the 243, 300Win Mag, 30-06, may the rest in peace) were all exceptional guns traded off in moments of stupidity.

The current batch of Savages are here to stay. First up is an LRPV in 22-250. This gun shoots itty bitty little groups at 100yds. They average .25" for 5 shots, but on the rare day when I do my part it does much better. I haven't had a chance to shoot much at longer ranges. This is my best 5 shot group at 100yds.
IMG_0888.jpg

I liked the LRPV so much that I bought a second one in 223. I only put about 75 rounds through this one before rebarreling it, but it shot well under .5" at 100yds. I used this gun as the base for my first Savage build. I put on a 28" PacNor stainless Match barrel in 300WSM, changed out the bolt head and firing pin, mounted a Mk2 6-18x scope, and just put it into a B&C Medalist stock. Here's the gun in the original HS Precision stock after I painted it.
Jan30th004.jpg

Here it is after sticking it in the B&C stock. I haven't decided if I'm going to paint this one as well or not.
100_0288.jpg

So far I've shot this rifle out to 300yds and it's averaging .4moa at that range.

The newest Savage is a Model 16 in 204 Ruger that I picked up for $400. I haven't shot this one yet. But I already have a 243 barrel waiting to go on there. This rifle will be the base for my goal of owning a rifle chambered in every caliber off of the 308Win case from 22 up to 9.3mm.

I love Savages because I don't need to pay some on to work on it. If I want to change calibers, I just go out to the garage and switch barrels it takes all of 10 minutes. I love it.:)

I have had one of the first accutrigger savages for about 4 years now !!!! It was 270 WSM and i think it was one of the best rifles i had shot ever !!!! I am in the process of rebarreling it to 6mm x 55 t SMc . This is one of Mic McPherson and By Smally's rounds !!! Iam going to see if they are as good AS THEY SAY !!!!! the only reason iam rebarreling it i bought a new tekka T3 light in 270 WSM !!! tekka is the only other brand i will own !!!!!

I have two pre-accutrigger Savages. One a Tactical rechambered to 7mm STW. It will do under 0.5" at 100 yds consistently, my smallest group is 0.14".
The other is a heavy barrel 22-250. It will do around 0.3" for 5 shots at 100 yards pretty consistently if I do my part. No modifications other than the rechamber on the STW and a trigger job on both.

I have numerous savage rifle and they are all shooters. They are the most economical platforms to build on as well. It is very easy to put on a prefit custom barrel and have an amazing long range rifle.

I've been consistently impressed with savage's accuracy. I was in the process of building a new Long range BR rifle when I bought an F-class 6.5x284 to try out it intially shot 1/4 MOA @ 100 and 1/2 @ 400, after a little TLC and some improved BR bags it had been producing 1/4 - 1/8 MOA if I read the flags right.

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

I got chance to take the 204 Ruger out today. It's another sub .5" 100yd gun. Maybe I've had unusually good luck, but I've never owned or seen a Savage that didn't shoot like a champ right out of the box.

Savage to me means cheap, accurate and tinker friendly. There have been a couple that didnt shoot as good as I'd like when I gottem but they do all right now and it didn't take a smith to get them there. The new accutriggered, accurate stocked target models may work well and be cool but I'd rather have the funds for ammo!
09outandabout%20070.jpg

Ya I know the bottom 20PPC has an accutrigger on it. I dont hold it againt it though, for what I paid for it used I'll get over it.
With the economy the way it is there where no plans to add another Savage to the prairie dog arsonal let alone another 243 but I'm weak and just can't say no to a J action, especialy when the price is right! It shot the 55 Nosler load as well as my original so I swapped out the 10 twist barrel for a SS 9.25 twis flutted that was just laying there wanting to be used for launching 105 Amaxes.

09outandabout%20178.jpg

It dont shoot too bad for a cheap $375 Savage.....specialy with me driving it!!

09outandabout%20114.jpg

Currently have 4 Savages - Mk II FSS, 16FSS & a pair of 16FCSS. Using the 16FSS [.223 Rem with standard 22"barrel] for F Standard up to 600 yards. The pair of 16FCSS [.223 Rem & .308 Win] are with my gunsmith getting a pair of competition barrels. Both will used in F Standard & will eventually get some switch barrels [6mm BR & 20 VT].

I really like the Accu-trigger basically from my early days shooting a 303 - cannot get away from the 2 stage trigger. The only issue I have is the amount of creep with the Mk II trigger - off to the gunsmith I suppose. The rifles really shoot well out of the box so I will have to see what happens when the new barrels arrive.

Iggy
Ian McLaren
Maffra Victoria Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.