Sam in Maryland

shimoda

Hi guys
I found this sight a few months ago and was instantly addicted. I live on the Chesapeake Bay's Eastern Shore but my heart is in the Rockies.
I lived in north central Idaho for 12 years. I moved east chasing money, running from an insane ex-wife and to be closer to family. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Hardcore hunter and fisherman, guns, bows, flyrods. Spent my first year in Idaho as a backcountry guide/ packer and the next 11 years working 70+ hours a week in order to live in the woods for a couple months in the fall hunting for myself and guiding my buddies[maybe the reason for the crazy ex?].
I've managed to kill a couple 400+/- yard elk and deer and more than a few at considerably less yardage. I've always understood that long range shooting[I used to think 400-500 was very long] is a skill not a trick, but in my experience most guys who brag about their long range guns [the worst seem to work in sporting goods stores] dont know squat about rifles or balistics. They buy a big caliber, a box of $10 ammo, hit a paper plate twice at 100 yds,throw some money at an outfitter, then go wound game or at least scare it into the next county.
Its nice to find a fraternity that takes what they do seriously, willingly shares their knowledge and understands the importance of ethics and modesty in a sport that has so much opposition.
Anyway, my short term goal is to increase my comfortable range to 600 or 700 yds with a gun that I can carry all day. I'm having a 7STW built which should be done in April, and will install my first dial up scope. I'm sure I could accomplish the same thing with one of my factory guns but it wouldn't be nearly as fun. I just signed up for Shawn Carlocks class in May, and joined a club with a 600 yd range and plans for 1000. Maybe next year I won't have to pass on that 370 bull like last season.

Sam Strong

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.