Salami

Discussion in 'Cooks' Corner' started by txnub, Sep 25, 2010.

1. txnub

txnub Active Member

Has anyone ever made any sandwich meat sized salami. I have been making german and summer sausage, but this year I would like to try some salami. I'm thinking of using bologna casing. Any suggestions/recipes/experiences would be appreciated.

2. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

I make two different kinds that my family loves. I use Excalibur brand seasonings for both, Imitation Bacon and Willi Snack Stick seasonings. The bacon seasoning actually tastes like ham or Canadian bacon.

I press both into 4" casings, smoke, then slice real thin (around 1/16th inch), then vacuum pack.

The Canadian Bacon makes a great breakfast sandwich on an English Muffin with a slice of cheese.

Midwestern Research handles both the seasonings and the 4" casings. You can find them with a Google search.

3. txnub

txnub Active Member

Thanks 7mm. I read through your post from last year. What percentage of fat do you use in your salami?

4. 7mmSendaro

7mmSendaro Well-Known Member

I use whole pork loin to mix with mine. I use 20% pork loin on the salami (Willie's Snack Stick) and 30% on the Canadian Bacon (Imitation Bacon).

5. txnub

txnub Active Member

Ok, sounds good. Thanks for your help. i'm hoping it will be a good year. I need to make german sausage, summer sausage, salami, burger and breakfast sausage, so the deer better be there when season starts!