Sako trg-s problem?

dale thames

I have a Sako TRG-S in 7mm-stw. I have heard or read somewhere that there might be some problems with the stock or the mounting points on the action. Do any of you have any knowledge of this? If so, what exactly what is or are the problems? What is the fix? I do not want to have the thing come apart on me up in a stand, or at the range.
Thanks,Z-28

The TRG has a unique and very small recoil lug design which can cause some problems.

If the action screws are tightened properly I have not seen any problems with this sytem but if the screws are a bit loose, the action will work on this small lug in the stock and basically chew it up.

As long as your action is properly torqued in the stock I have not seen any problems especially with the 7mm STW.

It is another story with the Lazzeroni rounds, 30-378 and 338 Lapua rounds.

I have playing with the idea of fitting a Rem 700 recoil lug to these rifles for a long time but have just not gotten around to doing it.

WHen one comes in with a ruined stock then I will do it.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Some years ago I had a TRG-s chambered in .340 Weatherby. Even with tight action screws the tiny, shallow recoil lug would not hold the stock in place. Later, after I had sold it, I learned of a fix involving adding an after-market recoil lug. I had this done to a 30-378 Weatherby. Pretty simple process.

lEN- I have one of the 30-378's. Can you tell me about your modification?? Mine doesn't seem to like 165-180 bullets but likes the barnes 150 xlc's (have yet to try the tsx's) Do you think the problem lies in the recoil lug or do you think it might be the barrel twist. A guy scoped my barrel and said it was "one of the best" factory barrels he'd seen but the gun is awful finicky. Also loves 125 grain ballistic tips--there's a winner eh!!!

The TRG-s rifles don't all seem to have a recoil lug related problem. I can't picture that lug area right now but as I remember it some are bedded such that the lugs don't get down far enough into the meat of the stock. Then recoil can shift POI.

One of the gunsmiths on the board could better describe the after-market recoil lug "fix".

I sent mine to Pac-Nor for a new barrel and BIG recoil lug. Then to McMillan for a new stock. All fixed.

My 338 Lapua has not had any problems. I don't care for the stock, but durability has never been a problem.

FWIW,

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts