Sako/M16 extractor question

kfrye

Once a bolt has had a Sako extractor installed on a M700 bolt, is it possible to fit a M16 style extractor in its place by expanding on the existing machining in the bolt body?

I've never overlayed a M-16 extractor over the cut for a Sako, so I don't know for sure. I think the pocket for the Sako lug is milled all the way through to the firing pin hole, and the hole for the plunger/spring that retains the Sako extractor is drilled about a half inch deep along the axis of the bolt. It might be possible, but it seems like there would be a lot of extra holes left over from the Sako extractor cut.

I would simply lay a M-16 extractor on top of the Sako cut, and see if it might work.

Maybe Shortgrass will see your thread and reply.

Tom

Once a bolt has had a Sako extractor installed on a M700 bolt, is it possible to fit a M16 style extractor in its place by expanding on the existing machining in the bolt body?

Yes it can be done. The M16 is the same size width wise but just twice as long. I had mine switched with no issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.