Sako forrester for long range

thatguyoverthere

Hey everybody,

I've been lurking around the sight the past few days and it looks like this is the place for long range shootingi information. I've been wanting to get into this game for a while now but never really have. A couple years back I came across a real purdy sako forrester Deluxe in .308 win in good condition and was hardly ever shot. The gun fits good and shoots great, ussually about 1" at 100yrds with just plain super x's and the trigger is great and breaks right at 2 lbs. So I was thinking about turning it into a long range rig. I know its only a sporter barrel but will that still work? I'm thinking I'll put on a 10X busnell 3200 because I dont really need a high power scope because this will still be a hunting rifle, then maybe i'll bed the action and get a bipod. I reload just not for the 308 yet but I'll get components and dies. Think this would be a deccent rifle for should I save up and get somthing with a heavy barrel and an adjustable composite stock? I know sakos are great rifles I was just wondering if this hunting rifle can be a long range weapon.

IMHO I think its just fine for you to get started. It will also help you to determine what you really want/need for the future (if you stick with it)without wasting time and funds. I say work up some loads and go stretch it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.