Sako extractor

briandolinsky

This may be a silly question, but what are the advantages of a SAKO EXTRACTOR on a 700 action over the standard claw

Well the Rem 700 doesn't have a claw extractor either that would be on a Mauser or Pre-64 Winchester and a few other but that the style.
the Rem extractor system is probably the weakest link on that action as its a piece of thin metal thats rivited in place.
The Sako style typicaly grabbs a little bigger bite of the case and the extractor piece itself is ALOT stronger that the factory Rem piece so their is less of a chance of it breaking under a hard extraction.

I've have heard that the Sako extractors can come out if a realy hot load is used but I personaly have never seen it happen. I do prefer the M-16 style extractor over either the Sako or the Rem piece because it has a pin that hold it in the bolt.
It amazes me that Remington hasen't gone to a better extraction method but I guess if their went with the Sako or M-16 style that would loose their "3 rings of steel" hype for saying their action is the strongest,yet "cheaper" guns like the Howa and Weatherby Vanguard come standard with the M-16 extractor

The Sako is a nice extractor and several of my 700s wear them. I have only had one Rem extractor fail and that was on a Custom Shop 338 win on the third shot!!!! Most of my Rem actions had them installed when the bolt face was opened up for larger cal. ie 22-250 to 300WSM. If I were to build off a Rem in the future without a doubt Badger M-16 style as JD said its stronger it's pinned. A Sako could pull out if you stick a case and yank the bolt, although not that common

I use Sako type extractors on all of my custom actions, clear up to the 50 BMG's. I have run some very hot loads through my 338-408, excess of 80,000# (for testing) and no extractor has ever failed to extract or come loose. If its not fitted properly maybe then one could come out. Rem factory 7mm mag rifles were notorius for failing. Smaller calibers didnt have much problems at all. The M-16 extractor is very good too, i have used them on 700's in the past. In my opinon, anything is better than the Rem spring steel setup. IE cleaning rod!

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.