Sako A7...is capable of LR shooting?

Dust270WSM

Sorry guys, yea it is a 270WSM.

I bought a Sako A7 last fall for my new deer rifle. I would like to us it at ranges from 0 to approx. 600 yards. I am wondering if this gun is capable of EXTREME accuracy for that kinda range? Reason I'm asking this is because they clam they are really accurate but I haven't got a chance to see yet. Expecially with a pencil barrel.

It has a 1-11 twist so I bought some 140 grain Bergers. Also I have some 4831 and 4350 that I have heard it was a good powder combination. ANY REALOAD COMBINATIONS ARE WELCOME.

Also it has a Leupold 4.5x14 on it I would like to have a bullet drop turret on top if its accurate enough.

Last edited:
What cartridge are you referring too?

Sounds like either 7mm or 270 based on the twist and bullet weight you stated.

Hi, er calibre may help alot in answering your question, but I will take a stab in the dark and assume from your call sign you have a 270WSM.

Ive had ZERO experience with the A7s but plenty with Sakos and Tikkas,IT WILL SHOOT. if you put in the time and effort you will get emence satisfaction from it.
The WSM family of cartridges is a inherently accurate one,they're like a BR case on steriods, with the effencient way they burn powder in the case less burn goes down the barrel which in turn MAY make your barrel last a little longer, BUT there is more to barrel life than burning powder!
There is can be alot of conjector over barrel profiles, my Tikka 300WSM has a "pencil like profile" but shoots silly tiny groups, heats up real quick but cools down quick too.
You may also find there will be much debate over bullet choice close up vs LR I know from personal experience that Amaxs are a superb LR bullet but blow up and have limited penetration on close up stuff, so I have two loads for my WSM, 180 gr interbonds for close up and 178gr Amaxs for LR.

Also a good thing to do is lighten that trigger easy enough to do, there should be a previous post on here some where, have a search.

that scope will be ample too, the turrets would be a good idea at some stage, it will make things heaps easier, I have the same on mine at the mo, (no turret) and its alot of a pain!!

Dont rush it, get as much info as you can from forum members and you will be well on your way in no time.

BTW if you dont have a 270WSM oops! but some of what Ive said is valid across the board for most calibres IMHO.

All the best
300WSMMAD

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.