• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

For Sale Sako 85 / McMillan Stock / 300 WM

Shumba1

Thinning the herd. Have too many guns and not enough hunts left in me!

This was originally a stainless Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 Win Mag. Later added a McMillan stock and sent it to Long Rifles Inc. to rebarrel with a 1:10 twist K&P 26" barrel. Threaded 5/8"-24 with thread protector. LRI also Cerakoted the stainless action and barrel.

The magazine on the Sako 85 L action is 3.700", as Sako also uses this action to chamber 375 H&H. Allows you to load 215 Bergers and 212 ELD-X long. Keeps those long heavy bullets from protruding into the case too much. Once you shoot out the barrel, this long action and 3.700" magazine gives you lots of caliber/cartridge choices (300 PRC, etc.) for your next rebarrel!

Gun shoots great groups with 215 Berger, 212 ELD-X, 180 TTSX and 168 TTSX. Those were the only bullets I tried. I used a factory box of Barnes VorTx 165 grain TTSX to sight in the gun and it shot the factory ammo really well.

Don't know exact round count, but will guess under 200. Got the rifle back from LRI in May 2023 and not a lot of range trips over the past year. Rifle is in excellent condition except for a scratch at the end of the barrel which is from me (photo included).

Selling because I have another Sako 300 Win Mag that also shoots great and now I usually just hunt with my 30-06, 308 or 6.5 CM unless I am going after bull elk (haven't drawn a bull tag for awhile). No need for multiple 300 Win Mags.

Includes the Contessa 20 MOA rail ($170 retail).
Does not include the scope and bipod.

$2,700 plus shipping & insurance to your FFL.

Please PM or email if interested.

Thanks

Tim
[email protected]

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

IMG_8281.jpg

IMG_8282.jpg

IMG_8276.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

IMG_8297.jpg

Found some targets for this rifle. I'm super impatient, so the rifle could probably shoot better in the hands of a true rifleman!

IMG_8308.jpg

IMG_8307.jpg

IMG_8306.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet rifle
Thanks.
I really haven't shot this rifle a ton, but it seems like it prefers the 215 Bergers with Magnum Powder in ADG brass. Just running low on Magnum powder at the moment, so haven't had a chance to dial this load in further.

The long magazine on this action lets you load the 215 Bergers to 300 PRC length (I'm loading these to 3.660" but you can load all the way to 3.700"). It keeps that long bullet from protruding into the case (which happens with most 300 Win Mags) and this lets you easily get factory 300 PRC velocities.

With the current 215 Berger load I have (78.5 grains Ramshot Magnum / 215 Berger / 2,860 fps), you should be able to thump an elk at a pretty good distance!

If you buy this rifle, the odds of you being selected for the Big Game hunts/tags you put in for in what ever draw you entered will increase significantly. Guaranteed!

Recent Posts