sako 7mm stw loads????

dale thames

Help, I have been trying to get a load worked up for my Sako 7mm stw ( trg-s ). It is clip fed. I would like to shoot 140gr.accubonds. If not possible, I'll shoot 160 gr. . A friend told me that Sako used a 1-12 rifle grooving. Another friend told me that because I have a clip fed gun, my groups wouldn't be as good as his loads because his rifles are not " clip " fed.
Any thoughts on pet load data, and the fact that I have a clip gun?

HELP Please, Z-28

I would like to help but I don't know where to start ............

Ok , one thing for sure , your friend is making a statement that is maybe true , maybe not . That is a generalization that I'm not sure is even close to any data reality .

I take it you reload , yes ? If so you have a basic understanding of what is involved . Get some reloading manuals and read them . Apply what you read to your particular caliber .

Along the way of actually doing these things you will develop questions and that is a good time to bring them here .

I dont have a twist rate chart in front of me , but if your rifle is 12 twist you will probably do much better with the lighter bullet wts. than the heavys , i.e 120/ 140 vs 160 / 175

oh yeah , welcome aboard ! Jim B.

Jim B.

I have reloaded a very small amount, but, I am looking for some favorite "pet" loads. What part about maybe or not being being true?
Z-28

Jim, also, the reason he stated that his would be inherently more accurate is the fact that his bullets would be closer to the grooves than mine.
Z-28

I think in the twist department
1-9 likes heaver bullets
1-12 will like lighter bullets.
Check Reloadersnest .com there is alot of loads there in diffrent bullet weghts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Clip fead should not have anything to do with a rifle shooting bad. Check and see where your bullet ends up 10 or so off the lands and if it will fit in the clip. If it will not fit in the clip seat it down until it does. As for loads I have found that most STW's will shoot 140's well with anywhere from 80 to 85gr of H-1000. If you want to use less powder you might want to try IMR-7828 or R-22 and start around 76gr and work up from there.

Dakor, at the risk of soundig stupid, you said that 80-85gr. of h-1000 would get me there. Then you said if I wanted to use less powder, use 7828, or R-22. What is the difference in H-1000, and 7828/R-22?
I would rather shoot the 140's for the sake of the inrease in velosity. With a chunk of lead like the Accubond, I do not worry about performance!
Thanks, Z-28

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.