Sako .338 Lapua Stock Fit

Thunder Hunter

I purchased .338 Lapua in 1993 with a I in 12 twist barrel. After another member talking to me about his gun, I decided to take a good look at my receiver to barrel fit. On first look I seen a 1/8 wear line down the bottom of the receiver. I proceeded to grease blue the bottom half moon of the receiver to see if I had full contact into the stock. This was the worst stock to receiver fit I've seen. The reverse bedding recoil lug was not even close to the receiver. If this had been a wood stock it would have split long ago. 17 hrs. later of scraping and sanding (No Power Tools) as the Pros do I finally have a mated surfaces. I wonder how many of you other Sako Lapua owners have spotted this?. The composit stock has to much shrinkage from the original mold to allow a perfect fit.

Hello TH!
smile.gif

Gonna work on it soon! I´ll take pics before,during and after. Quite positive,the reason for the drift will be found down there.

Thanks a lot! Got my hands quite full plus I won´t do anything to that rifle right now,simply because the first (and only) shot is always there. The deer are moving now.
smile.gif

Warranty won´t help,I´m afraid, the drift to the left after the first shot isn´t enough to make Sako interested in it- especially when the rest of the bullets group fine.

DIY,no prob.

[ 11-18-2003: Message edited by: Petander ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.