Safford Arizona new guy.

varmint72

Just found the web site it looks good with alot of info.I have been shooting long range for years and im always looking to get better with all the info from you guys.I just sold my 6.5-284 to buy a lighter hunting gun and went with the 6.5-06 imp.It will be a preadtor action mcmillion stock and a pac nor barrel.If you have any pet loads please share them with me.Im going to try retumbo with the 140 berger as my first load.Thanks Lex

Lex,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy. Sorry I do not have any pet loads on your caliber choices, the only 6.5 I have at the moment is a 6.5x55 Swede ... but I'm sure the guys will chime in soon. You might also want to post your query at the reloading section.

BTW, I used to hunt javelinas nearby Safford in the early 1990s when I was stationed at DM.

Again welcome.

Ed

Welcome Lex,
I have no 6.5x06 AI but do have two 6.5x06 guns. I mostly use the old standard H-4831 in my guns with the light bullets. I also use the old PO Ackley trick of slow pouring powder by funnel into a case while being vibrated. I get 3 grs more in the case than it will hold just poured, that way, to match PO's load data.

With the 140 I use IMR-4350 and can get up to 3,100 fps with slightly flat primers. But your AI version is not going to give you much better velocity, if at all, as the standard version comes within 100 fps of the 264 Win and the 264 has a pile more capacity than either the standard or the AI version.

Best of luck and if you want some real fun, try the 85 Sierra over H-322. H-322 can be used to replace HiVel#2 grain for grain. That 85 at 3800 fps is a small nuclear device on prairie poodles and other noxious critters. It is a red mist special.:D
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.