Safety Problem on Mt Rifle

gonewest

I bought a used Rem 280 Mt Rifle this yr and just shot it at the range and never had a problem with the safety. I lent my cousin the gun for his daughter and they called me and said that the safety is really hard to shove off and sometimes won't go off at all. I told them to try and use a little rem oil and work it back and forth. He is really paranoid about letting her use it and so am I. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and any ideas. I will definitely get the gun to a gunsmith after the season. He's 200 miles away and everyone is swamped. Any suggestions?

I bought a used Rem 280 Mt Rifle this yr and just shot it at the range and never had a problem with the safety. I lent my cousin the gun for his daughter and they called me and said that the safety is really hard to shove off and sometimes won't go off at all. I told them to try and use a little rem oil and work it back and forth. He is really paranoid about letting her use it and so am I. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and any ideas. I will definitely get the gun to a gunsmith after the season. He's 200 miles away and everyone is swamped. Any suggestions?

If the rifle has not been bedded it could have rotated just enough to interfere with the safety's operation. If it has been bedded it could also be in contact with the stock.

Take it out of the stock and see if it does the same thing (It shouldn't) with the rifle unloaded, test the safety. If it is still hard, the trigger needs to be replaced.

if it works fine out of the stock look at the stock and see if you can find where it is in contact and remove a little stock material.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks alot. Whats a ballpark on replacing a trigger

Any where from $80.00 to $230.00 depending on the type/brand of trigger.

Look on Midway or Brownells and you will find the one you need at the price you can afford.

J E CUSTOM

I doubt it needs replaced. Dried oil will do that. I had one that was completely frozen up. For years they just dripped Rem Oil in there but never took it out of the wood for a proper cleaning. I had to take that trigger completely apart and scrub it out with solvent. Put it back together and gave it a drink of trigger fluid (lighter fluid) and it is still working good as new a year later.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts