Safe Door

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by ZRT1000, May 16, 2008.

1. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Active Member

Not sure where to post this so I will ask here.. I am starting to build a gun room and have been looking for a door anybody have any input on a safe door? ..Thanks

2. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

I would say the door used would depend on the type of room your building. Is it a concrete vault that is fire proof if so that is out of my expertise? If you are looking for something like a 2 hour door (fire door) any good door shop can build it to your specs. There are quite a few standard commercial doors with metal outers’ available that would work well for a secure 2 hour room.

Hope that helps some.

3. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

i'm in the planning stage of doing a similar project, at least i think i am. my plan is to install a metal door with a key punch combination dead bolt. the striker plate will be a 1/4" thick steel plate about 4 ft long that will be glued and screwed into the solid frame around the door. the deadbolt operates on batteries or a key if needed. not as secure as a vault, but should keep 98% of the criminals and hopefully my 9 yr old out of the room when we're not around.

4. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Active Member

I guess I should have gave a idea of what I am doing.. It is going to be built out of block then filled solid, I am looking at something like the browning vault door or a door built by sportsman steel.. Thanks

5. RBrowning

RBrowning Well-Known Member

6. telkev

telkev Active Member

Liberty makes gun vault doors. Take a look at their website.

7. wayneborngesser

wayneborngesser Active Member

Oops, TMI

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  8. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Active Member

Hey guys thanks for the info but I ordered a browning door last week ..

9. tscott

tscott Well-Known Member

RBrowning, Thanks for you post on the Safe Door web site. They have good products for those going through the building process.
    Thanks again