sabot slug handloads?

Discussion in 'Long Range Shotgun Slug Hunting' started by big honkin jeep, Mar 26, 2008.

1. big honkin jeep

big honkin jeep Well-Known Member

With the cost of slugs I have been researching a handload alternative. I found an article on line about a duplex sabot load using typical shotgun wads and saboted muzzleloader bullets but I cant figure out the proper way to fill the annular space between them and maintain concentricity.The article claims very good accuracy.I have picked the brains of ballistics techs at sierra and nosler and even suggested to them that there is a market for sabot slug components to no avail. Does anyone know where I could find these components or have any suggestions on making them?
    Thanks Skip

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Several years ago there was a company called BRI (Ballistics Research Institute I believe) that was selling slug components.

Have not hear much about them since, so not sure if they are still in business

BH

3. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Winchester bought BRI.

4. BHP9

BHP9 Well-Known Member

BRI was bought by Winchester, but they only sold loaded ammo AFAIK.

BPI (Ballistic Products) sell components.

Ballistic Products - Shotgunner Supplies

5. big honkin jeep

big honkin jeep Well-Known Member

I already checked with bpi and had them send me a catalog.No luck. I was hoping to pick someones brain and see if there were any good ideas to keep premium pistol or muzzleloader bullets concentric inside a standard 12ga shotgun wad.
    Thanks Skip

6. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

I knew it was B- something. CRS is kicking in. In fact I have been told that I have the advanced stage called CRAFT (Can't Remember a F---- Thing)

Try a duplex wad system. Go to prbullets.com and they are doing it for muzzleloaders.

BH