Russo Bubinga creation in Alaska

Gene Jr.

Here are a few pictures from my recent trip to AK. I took my newly minted Joel Russo creation on a ten day backpack hunt. Not everyones idea of a sheep rifle! Only three shots taken in AK were on the range in Fairbanks but I had 100% confidence if the right opportunity would have come up. Saw plenty of game, just not the right one to end a fantastic hunt on.

IMGP4294.JPG

IMGP4309.JPG

IMGP4270.JPG

IMGP4310.JPG
Some very lucky bulls. I had a tag burning a hole in my pocket but wasn't going to end my buddy's sheep hunt for less than a book 'bou.
IMGP4287.JPG

And yes, she shoots as well/better than she looks! With MINIMAL load development it's shooting under .5moa and better when I do my part.

Russo stock,Stiller action, Benchmark barrel, vias brake, rem trigger/bottom metal, 8-32x NF w/ UL NF rings and ACI/level combo. Smithed by Bruce Baer in his 308 Baer chambering shooting a 180gr Accubond at 3350fps.

Gene Jr.

WOW nice looking rifle, and some great pics with all the different scenery in the backround.
Tarey

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that carries a 12lb+ rifle on Sheep hunts..

Sounds like you guys had a good hunt, and those were some lucky Caribou.
Always great memories for sure in AK; the place never disappoints.

It was a pleasure working with you on this build. My apologies for running you down to the wire, but I work well under pressure.:rolleyes:

Joel----very nice work!! I am in the process of buiulding one with a Macassar stock lol...

Joel,

As we discussed, when the rifle turns out EXACTLY the way I wanted (well better than I ever expected!) a few tense moments in the schedule are already forgotten :D ***NOTE to others: Joel moved heaven & earth to make sure this build came together and was ready for my trip. The schedule issues were not his fault but he pulled it off anyway.

It's easy to let 'em walk when you KNOW you could tag 'em if you wanted to. If I could have put the tops from that one bull on the other one with the large frame it would have been "game over!"

Thanks again Joel!

Gene Jr.

I've not weighed it on anything but a bathroom scale but it is in the #14 range. This particular piece of wood is heavier than even most Bubinga. I do plan on fluting the barrel yet.

Gene

T-3, not the Copper, although I enjoyed some fresh "Copper River Reds" when I was in AK.:D This was a little farther north in the Brooks Range.

Gene

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.