run out

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jeff 300, Jan 10, 2009.

1. jeff 300

jeff 300 Well-Known Member

I'm get a lot of run out in my case after resizing up 300rum to 338 edge the cases start out with 2-3th after i size them they are 5-8 out. i'm using a co-ax press and redding fl bushing dies

2. Lost creek

Lost creek Well-Known Member

I would not worry about it, i'll bet you will still get good accuracy. When i necked down my 375 rum brass to 338 edge i was getting about 20 thousands runout with 338 rum neck sizing die. The accuracy with that much runout was great. My first group after load development was 3/4 inch at 325 yards. All 100 cases shot shot very good. After the first firing i get very little runout,but in all honesty they do not shoot any better than on mt first firing with a lot of runout. I think a good chamber will make up for a lot of runout. This probably won't be the normal for all rifles, but in my 338 edge runout does not seem to matter

3. BigJakeJ1s

BigJakeJ1s Well-Known Member

I agree, shoot them and then resize and see what your runout is. It is difficult to expand the neck that far uniformly. Have you measured neck thickness on these cases? Non-uniform neck thickness causes uneven spring-back which causes runout too. You may need to turn the necks a bit to restore uniformity.

Andy

4. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger Well-Known Member

I check run out when trying to find out why a load will not shoot accurately. Don't check run out when you are happy with a load... it will drive you crazy

5. kraky2

kraky2 Well-Known Member

Lost Creek--just curious...does your gun have freebore or are you right near the lands with your loads. I sure find it interesting how so many people swear that .005 runnout turns their tack driver into a shotgun and then we have a gun like yours that drives tacks with ammo that wobbly.
    I've often thought the trip down a good barrel does much to straighten out something bad we reloaders might have done.....and about 95% of accuracy comes from how well a gun likes a bullet/powder/seat depth combo.

6. Lost creek

Lost creek Well-Known Member

kraky1,

I am using .050 freebore.

7. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

Couldnt have said it better. A little is ok. Alot is bad.

Fire form the cases then worry about it.