Rum resizing

Rum and not the liquid

Just resizing some 300rum brass and I stopped to check it out and it looked odd instead of a hard tapered shoulder it looks to be rounded slight and the case previous to that I pulled the shoulder apart they are a little stiff in the press.

What the jells goin on!?

Thanks

Lucas

Are you getting enough sizing lube in side the neck? if not it can have a tendency to try to pull the neck out.

you do need some lube inside the case mouth so it will slide back over the expanding ball smoothly after being pushed up into the die. Try this, pull your expanding ball out of your die and run a lubed case into the die, bet it pulls out way easier without the expander ball in there. Lube the inside of your neck.

My rums are really hard to resize also, not sure how often youre doing it but i went about 4 firings on the cases before i fl sized and they were really stiff. I annealed the necks and they went through smooth as silk... Wether i have a sloppy remington chamber or i sized to much but i had one almost separate after the first time i resized so i only size just enough to chamber now.... on a side note i managed to get one stuck the other night and the rim came off , i hadnt annealed the neck on this batch yet, 20mins on the lathe and i knocked up a case removing tool problem solved.. woohoo i knew the lathe would come in handy.

Yeah I've done that before almost smashed me self in the face lol

Aparently my dies arnt setup properly I'll go over to the shop I get my reloading gear from and sort it on his press

slightly off topic but where did you get the 300 brass from i think im in the market for some more and its hard to find in NZ.

Hamils Hastings and pioneer reel and rifle in Clive but I think theres another shop getting into it try magnumimports.co.nz.

It's a long wait have you thought of importing your self

all my reloading gear and smaller parts i have imported like mounts and bases etc.. but not brass or projectiles i probably should but i gather i need an original letter from erma saying nz has no import restrictions on these items... probably should have thought about this before i got the rum and found it liked to eat 240smks something else im having trouble finding at reasonable prices i ought to ask around some friends and see if i can get a half decent order together.... i buy from graf & sons as they seem pretty cheap and dont mind shipping here.

" I annealed the necks and they went through smooth as silk... "

If so, you probably over-heated the necks and made them dead soft NOT good!

Lubing inside a neck has NO effect on stuck cases and very little effect on neck/shoulder stretch.

Cases stick because the lower body, just above the web, aren't lubed properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.