Ruger M77 ???

jsthntn247

I have a m77 in 25-06. It is the model with the two stage safety not on the tang and has the medium barrel. This is my whitetail hunting rig and I was getting .75 moa out of it. I took the stock off it last week to clean it (first time I ever did) and now the **** thing is shooting all over the place. Can anybody explain to me what the hell went wrong? I called myself putting in back together the same way it came apart.

First time cleaning the barrel, or first time taking it apart to clean the action? My thoughts are two fold. First, if you are cleaning the barrel for the first time, it has to settle back in to where it was before with a fouled barrel. The second part is that you don't have the actions screws torqued to the original factory specs and it is not liking the new seat in the stock. This would be a good time for a bedding job and trigger work.

Tank

Don't know if this will help, but there is an order to tighten the action screws that may help. You are suppose to just snug up the rear action screw then tighten the front action screw all the way, finish tightening the rear screw, and finally the last action screw but do not tighten all the way, just snug it up and leave it that way.

Yes, the middle screw should just be snug, do not tighten it. Have the rifle bedded (I had mine pillar bedded) Accuracy didn't improve a whole lot by bedding alone, but it was consistent.

I had this happen when I restocked my M77. I about wanted to throw my rifle in the trash I was so mad. I went through 4 or 5 range interations retorquing to different torque specs, different torque orders, etc. Finally got it right. I know this may not of helped, just know you are not alone. My M77 300WM shoots like a house of fire now.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.