Ruger M77 Magnum Hunter

I dont have a problem with ruger. My dads 20 year old M77 MKII 7mm RM with a non free floating barrel and non bedded action shoots well under MOA @ 100 yards. My Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator 6.5 Creedmoor is a under 1/4 moa gun @ 100 yards. I havent seen a ruger have issues. I must say id have to pick a savage over a remmy just because of bad personal experiences with a few remingtons. Im not really bias to any brand. I own a savage and a ruger and have shot a couple brownings and like them all. Now remmys arent a bad gun. Alot of people have had good luck with them and its still a very popular rifle(just look at the after market world) ive just had bad experiences is all. Whether they were flukes or not i have no idea.
I have 2 of the old stainless/synthetic skeleton stock model Rugers (7mm RemMag & 7mm-08), that I have had for 16 years (7mm-08) and 12 years (7mm RemMag), and they are both tack drivers. Unfortunately the aftermarket realm doesn't throw much support for them, other than EGW making scope rails that you have to drill and tap the receivers to use (which is genious, I don't know why nobody thought about it sooner) so you won't have to use and buy Ruger brand rings made specifically for that rifle, and a few aftermarket stocks.

If the aftermarket showed more support for them, they would be excellent options for long range builds.

I also have had 2 Browning, and still have one of them. Great guns.

Got a Weatherby Accumark, too. Great guns, but mine needs a new barrel, since Weatherby decided to screw the pooch on mine, by building it on a Monday or Friday afternoon... My smith said the rifling looks like someone did it with an icepick, and the rifle has less than 250 rounds down it. I will most likely be sending it back to Weatherby for a rebarrel.

I have a whole lot of other crap too, so don't think I'm 100% Remington 700.....I'm just 100% anti Savage. I'd own just about anything over one of them. LOL

z71rad88,

Thus far, there's one that is totally anti Savage. Hopefully, we have provided you some insight to help you in your decision process.

There's also a poll on most accurate rifle out of the box that might be worth your time.

Good luck!

that is because the OP did nt mention sako.

Great!

P8220205-1-1.jpg

z71rad88,

Thus far, there's one that is totally anti Savage. Hopefully, we have provided you some insight to help you in your decision process.

There's also a poll on most accurate rifle out of the box that might be worth your time.

Good luck!

Indeed. Thanks for letting me know about that poll, I'll have to check that out.

you can not go wrong with the sendero. are you looking for a rifle with wood stock/blue metal or stainless/ sythetic ??

Definitely sythetic blue or stainless but that wood browsing xbolt in .30-06 at Cabelas for $800 has caught my eye......

I have checked out the Sendero..really nice lookin platform. I really like the fact it comes with a 26 inch tube for thr .300 WM too.

Don't know a whole lot about it but the Browning AB3 in .300 Win Mag has 26" barrel for $599 MSRP (Browning Firearm, AB3 Composite Stalker, Item 035800229, UPC 023614398271)

Yeah, the AB3 looks like a cheap piece of junk you can buy in an arcade. I'd try to find a new or used A-Bolt II. Then again, not much aftermarket support for the Brownings either. However, both A-Bolt II's I've had were shooters, with no need for any aftermarket accessories, other than scope mounts and stuff.

I think Browning made a marketing mistake. When they redesigned the A-bolt, they should have called it the A-bolt 3 not the x-bolt. And then they could have called the new cheap piece of junk the x-bolt instead of the AB-3. Was disappointed that the redesign didn't seem to do much except for increase the base price of the gun and then they filled the gap with junk to compete with everyone elses junk.

That doesn't change my opinion that the X-bolts are nice rifles. I just think you can shop for other options now.

OP seems to be looking at higher end (priced) guns. So, I agree with him that the Sendero is a nice rig, longer and heavier weight barrel than most other options is nice. I know two owners of the new 700 Long Range and they are very pleased with them though they are kinda ugly. Both guns seem to be shooters though neither is really broken in yet. They also offer a longer and heavier barrel than most factory rifles and a rock hard synthetic stock. My plan is to buy one to put under my next high end scope purchase.

Another piece of advice is if you have a budget for the new rifle, save on the gun and spend on the optics. A Sendero rifle with a cheap Simmons scope would make me sad...:D

I agree, they should have named the X-Bolt the AB3, and named the AB3 the X-Bolt. I don't care much for the X-Bolt rifles. And not a huge fan of the original A-Bolts either. I do like the A-Bolt II rifles alot. I'm having my A-Bolt II rebarreled at the moment, and probably gonna save up for a B&C Medalist stock to put it in.

The Sendero or 5R MilSpec would make a great option. They offer the 5R .300 WinMag in a 26" 1:10 twist, if you can find one. And that would also make for an excellent rifle.

I have quite a few Sendero rifles, and they are all shooters, granted, most are custom builds off of re-chambered and worked-over factory barrels, but they will still drive tacks.

I think Browning made a marketing mistake. When they redesigned the A-bolt, they should have called it the A-bolt 3 not the x-bolt. And then they could have called the new cheap piece of junk the x-bolt instead of the AB-3. Was disappointed that the redesign didn't seem to do much except for increase the base price of the gun and then they filled the gap with junk to compete with everyone elses junk.

That doesn't change my opinion that the X-bolts are nice rifles. I just think you can shop for other options now.

OP seems to be looking at higher end (priced) guns. So, I agree with him that the Sendero is a nice rig, longer and heavier weight barrel than most other options is nice. I know two owners of the new 700 Long Range and they are very pleased with them though they are kinda ugly. Both guns seem to be shooters though neither is really broken in yet. They also offer a longer and heavier barrel than most factory rifles and a rock hard synthetic stock. My plan is to buy one to put under my next high end scope purchase.

Another piece of advice is if you have a budget for the new rifle, save on the gun and spend on the optics. A Sendero rifle with a cheap Simmons scope would make me sad...:D

L:DL! CZ UHR in .300 Win Mag is an excellent rifle too at similar price range and includes MOA accuracy guarantee to 600 yards ... that's one bold guarantee.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.