Ruger Hawkeye in 280 rem

letrbuck

long time reader on this site. I've learned a lot and got turned on more to the 280 rem.

Looking for a bit of advice. . . Originally I was going to keep my eyes open for a used Savage or Stevens and do a 280 AI build but, I came across a pretty good deal on Ruger Hawkeyes in 280 for 560 bucks. I've always liked the m77s (I have an old tang safety 243 that shoots under 1/4" with the white box Winchester ammo)

Here's what I was thinking: Get one of the Hawkeyes and if it turns out to be a shooter, take it to a smith and have it punched out to AI chamber. But, my concern is this: with the 22" barrel will I even benefit much from having it AI'd?

Thanks for any advice!

I got the hawkeye last year in 280 for the same reason then I took it out started some load developing and landed on a 168 Berger with 4831SC and man it just clover leafs decided to leave it alone

I'd shoot the daylights out of it with a nos bt or accubond and rl19/22 and forget about the ai, at least as long as the 22" bbl. is on her. My brother ( his second or third 280) has a remmy 24" bbl 280 and the rifle's spitting distance from 280ai speed with the regular 280.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.