Ruger Hawkeye build

I`ve been having these bad thoughts about a RGSR, a .260 barrel, and a 3-18X42 IOR, thats currently between rifles... :)

I`m taking delivery of a Hawkeye Predator .223, this week, waiting for the export model of the RGRS and I`m looking forward to following your build.

I love all my Ruger's. They may not be 1k yd guns, but they are dependable.

My go to rifle for the last seven years has been a No. 1 grey laminate stainless 300WM. Now I think I would like it as a 270 Win. Maybe after I burn up the barrel.

I would be inclined to think the M77 bedded into a stock would end up working out better in the long run over round bottom actions. May be more trouble actually bedding them at first. Soon as I get home, the cousin's M77 is going to get the bedding treatment

Last edited:
I agree. Ruger bolt actions have more custom action features than most of the popular brands. They are very tough, and reliable. The only down side is the after market support. I think Rugers have a bad reputation due to some accuracy issues back in the 80's, and deservingly so. They allowed to many rifles get out with bad barrels and then did not give good customer support. If I had bought one of those rifles back in the day, I would probably never buy another in my life. Today however they turn out a better product, customer support still isn't where it should be though. I do believe Ruger is one of the best values for the money out there. If my life had to depend on a bolt action rifle, Ruger's would be very near to the top of the list, do to its strength and reliability. If you put the same attention to detail into truing the action, a good barrel, and an adjustable stock I think a Ruger can be just as good as any.

I have never been one to just follow along. I also believe that Remington is so popular just because it has such large after market support, and that they are a bit easier to work on. There is nothing that make it that much better in design. I even heard (not sure if it is true) that Remington wasn't the militaries first choice, but do to contract conditions other companies where not willing to take the governments deal. That is when Remington stepped in. Now I'm not putting down Remington. I think they do put out on average one of the most accurate rifles today. They are a pretty good value, and if you want all the fancy go fast parts, Remington is just about the only answer. Trued Remington actions have beaten custom rifles in competition so there is nothing wrong with going that route. Remington has nothing to prove. I have owned several Remingtons and from experience know that it is not the best fit for me personally.

You can argue the pros and cons of any rifle action and be right. I have suggested the Remington rifle to others who have made it clear that they want a true custom job. For me, one of the most important features is control round feed. Why? I grew up shooting my grandfathers 1917 30-06. It is sentimental, and to me it is better in design.

Last edited:
I love my rugers, every last one of them. I'm not sure I'm sold on their hammer forged barrels, when they work well, they work well. I'm a reloader, so it's okay to have to find a sweetspot load. Keeps me at the bench!

How much different is the Hawkeyes, from the traditional M77? I like the look, is that all there is to them? Besides forward mounted scope. I'm asking because my son starts hunting next fall, and I'm torn about what I should get him for his first rifle. At 12 he's taller than me, so he's past youth model sizing.

The Ruger Hawkeye is actually replacing the M77 Markll. If that is what you have, the only real difference is a knew trigger that even though is better than the markll, still in my opinion needs work from a smith (I had mine done for $25). The rest is just the stock reworked (which most people seem to like), and the finish, which again is nicer. Though my Ruger isn't the most accurate rifle I own, it is my favorite. I think the Ruger hawkeye would be an excellent first rifle. One day my son will get mine.

The Ruger Hawkeye is actually replacing the M77 Markll. If that is what you have, the only real difference is a knew trigger that even though is better than the markll, still in my opinion needs work from a smith (I had mine done for $25). The rest is just the stock reworked (which most people seem to like), and the finish, which again is nicer. Though my Ruger isn't the most accurate rifle I own, it is my favorite. I think the Ruger hawkeye would be an excellent first rifle. One day my son will get mine.

Not your most accurate rifle. As in not most accurate for long range? Have you dialed in a load for it?

My No. 1 is my most accurate. It was before I ever heard of ladder testing, so it was mostly chance that I found a great load for it. Now that I've been enlightend about ladder testing, I plan to re-test. I have learned that my No. 1 is super picky, even bullet brands.

BigSky, you are right. The Ruger isn't my most accurate rifle by design, it is a stock all weather hunting rifle, and being compared to rifles designed for long range/varmint shooting. I know I haven't nailed down a load for this rifle yet. I have only tried one bullet (168gn Hornady A-max). The reason I haven't gone any farther in load development is I have always had another rifle to play with. My safe is thinning out as I get ready for my build which ever way I go, so it just may be time to take that little Ruger out there and see what it is capable of.

There are a few things in particular I like about the No. 1 for a stock rifle, it has a full 26" barrel and is still 2" shorter than a 24" barreled bolt rifle. It has the grey laminated stock, I feel is heavier, and moisture tolerant over walnut, etc. I've had it out past 250yds three times on critters, it goes where I point it. It seems to shoot around .5-.75 moa with my loads. A box of factory, off the shelf, will shoot a 6" group at 200yds.

I need to play with it out farther, and me as well.

Straightshooter,
I was just wondering if you were still going forward with your Ruger build. I just finished a build on a Ruger M77 mkII in .308. I had the factory trigger worked, put it in a Mcmillan stock, and put a 4.5 Krieger 22 inch barrel on it. I am very happy with how it turned out. It is topped with a 4.5-14x40 Leupold VX3 and it is coated with flat black cerakote.

11011029.jpg

Yeah, one day, but I got the rifle bedded, and it is shooting pretty good. Shot a .3 inch 4 shot group 2 weeks ago. Think I will shoot it as is since I only have 300 rounds or so through the rifle.

coyotenut, I really like what you have done with your Ruger. Thanks for sharing your build, I didn't know Mcmillan inletted for the Ruger. Looks like you went all out, top of the line all the way. Tell me the difference in how she shoots now compared to when it was stock, fit, feel, recoil, and of course accuracy?

straighshooter,
I am really happy with the way it turned out. I love the Mcmillan stock, it is the Ruger Hunter and I like the monte carlo stock because it seems to fit me better and gives me a better cheek weld. I also like the way it feels in my hands better. Accuracy has been pretty good so far, I am just fine tuning some loads. It seems to have a preference toward Hornady interlocks but I am also working on Nosler accubonds and ballistit tips. The rifle shot pretty good as it was, then one day accuracy just went to heck. After eliminating scope and bedding I decided to re-barrel. And once I decided to rebarrel I decided to go all out.:D There isn't much I would change about the setup.
Good luck on your build!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.