Ruger CHARGER--what scope??????

Robert J. Adler

Never had heard of this critter before I bought one at a dealer yesterday. A 10/22 with a pistolgrip laminated stock with down-turning forend so the 10" tapered barrel only has the full-size shank ahead of the receiver in the stock.
The gun comes with a bipod adapter and good bipod, the short one, but I have not checked it to see if it is a Harris. Has a Weaver rail screwed on the top of the receiver and no sight provisions. For $300 plus tax, I just had to jump. NOW--my question is: Should I get a Burris 3-12 plex for it in Z-rings or just put a rifle scope on it? It will be in the Colorado dog towns this Summer with me after some playing with it--of course, the trigger was atrocious so the "group" is already off to KC for my gunsmith buddy to set-up for me. I will be searching for a replacement "cool" barrel one of these days, so IF any Ruger forged HBs are sitting in the closet wasting space, let me know. An old Burris 10x would be a find, also. Thoughts?????? Thanks, Bob

I just saw one in a gun store yesterday, thought it was such a good idea I cant believe Ruger did not come out with it years ago.
As far as scope suggestions any pistol scope would work fine, cant imagine putting a rifle scope on one though.
UB

Depending on your uses and how close you want the handgun to you would determine for me whether or not I use a LER or a rifle scope.
For most instances I would use a 3-12 Burris LER, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with a rifle scope for the longest distances or for fun target work.
Both require a different style of holding the handgun. If you already have both I would try each and see which you like the most.
I use high powered rifle scopes on a good number of my specialty handguns with case capacities of the 06 up to the Dakota or STW capacity.

Charger

Thanks for the input, Ernie and Uncle B! I have a 3-12 coming and a better barrel, too, so it is a work in process. Best regards, Bob

Had a 10-22 many years ago that was used mostly for trapping/coon hunting. The stock got broken in an interesting confrontation with a coon so it might have been modified to a pistol grip and when the front site was broken off the barrel might have lost a few inches to just ahead of the stock. Rumor has it that this was one handy unit!!
A conversation with Ruger(in the early 1980's) about makeing something along this lines informed me of the consequenses if this unit actualy existed :eek: They also thought it would be a good idea but at the time Bill was haveing issues with mag capacities :mad:
Glad to se they finaly worked it out and come out with a legal way of doing this as its always been a great idea. One of them Bushnell hollow sites (Spelling?) or something similar would compliment the setup well IMHO
That being said the 10-22 works great as a cabine and a Buckmark or similar auto works great for a pistol. It would be great if we could convert an old 10-22 to a pistol but that aint happening without a LOT of paperwork :(
That old rumor didnt turn out that bad after a few new parts:cool:
10-22-1.JPG

The Charger

UPDATE--Yep-I got the Burris 3-12 w/dots. The most interesting part was ordering a 920 SS barrel---the mfg. said I couldn't make a short one, it was illegal on a 10/22, even after I explained it is a CHARGER--not a 10/22. Both are registered trademarks and a Charger is a pistol. After being so I warned, I asked if I could order a .920 SS barrel and have them cut & crown it. "Nope, that would be illegal" JEEZ-I explained again, then just tried to order a full-size one. "Oh, we are 3-4 months out on production" My next step was to look in GunBroker.com and hit the Buy-It-Now button on the same barrel from a place in Florida, for $10 less!!!! That barrel came two days later, is now cut to 11" and crowned, and if I hadn't had the flu for 3 days and it wasn't raining, I would be at the range with it NOW. I live in Georgia and after last year's drought, I can not complain about the rain. Going to Reno and SCI tomorrow so the project will wait until next week. I will update again with some accuracy results and I do really appreciate the comments you all shared with me.

Update as requested!

SORRY--been getting the house ready to sell and medical problems--The Charger lives with the 11" Shaw stainless .920 barrel and the 3-12 Burris on top. Got it to the range once and at 50 yds we were shooting the numbers off the target--on purpose! Wind got up hard so didn't go past 50 yds and it shot Gold Medal Match in a dime and Stingers(OF ALL THINGS!) in a quarter-a full mag each. I saw it in the safe today, whimpering to go "play", but time is tight now.
I didn't try to extract a live round, except by pulling the trigger, so not sure how "tight" the neck is, but it will be with me in June in E. Colorado for pdogs. It has plenty of accuracy for what it is and when I get into a new gun club, it will be my companion for every trip to the range. Thanks for the reminder and for the patience you've invested. Bob

Barrels

light bulbCheck out the
Tactical Solutions' Lightweight Threaded barrels for the Ruger Charger Pistol I plan on buying a charger pistol in the nex couple of weeks and i was looking at Tactical Solution's barrels out of Boise Idaho had to offer.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts