Ruger 270 floating barrel question?

irish sitka

I have a Ruger M77 Mk2 in 270.
It has not been accurate lately.
I took the stock off and found that the final 1" of the stock has a burr on it and it is jammed tight against the barrel.
I could not get a sheet of paper to pass between the barrel and stock.
I intend to get rid of the burr and let the entire barrel float, am I in the right ball park here? The barrel should have no contact with the stock except at the back end?
Any advice gratefully received.

If your Ruger is like mine, that isn't actually a burr at the end of the barrel channel it's a pressure pad. The theory is that a light barreled rifle will actually shoot better with a little bit of upward pressure on the barrel. In some cases I've seen it work really well, and in other cases removing the pressure pad and letting the barrel free float allows for better accuracy.

When my Ruger quit shooting as well as it had I tried to figure out what I had changed and finally found that I hadn't torqued the action screws the same as when I was getting better accuracy. I retorqued the screws and my accuracy came back.

The only problem I really have with the pressure pad is that my POI seems to shift a lot depending on the weather due to the stock expanding or contracting. Maybe someone on here with more experience with Rugers could tell you what will work best, but if I were you I'd make sure all my action screws were good and tight and torqued as described in the Ruger manual and see if that fixes your problem.

I had a similar issue with the exact same rifle. Best thing I ever did for that rifle was to put a Bell & Carlson syntheic stock on it. Defintely more expensive stocks available but I was not wanting to put a ton of money in the outfit and the B&C was is a good combo of quality and affordability. Adds a little weight and has a better recoil pad, both of which helped reduce recoil. Also, once installed properly, the barrel was free from any contact with the stock. Accuracy is back and its easier to shoot now. Good luck!

I took the gun apart again and removed the pressure pad, I will test fire it in a few days and see how it behaves.
I will let you guys know how I get on.
Thanks for the info.

I have a Ruger M77 Mk2 in 270.
It has not been accurate lately.
I took the stock off and found that the final 1" of the stock has a burr on it and it is jammed tight against the barrel.
I could not get a sheet of paper to pass between the barrel and stock.
I intend to get rid of the burr and let the entire barrel float, am I in the right ball park here? The barrel should have no contact with the stock except at the back end?
Any advice gratefully received.

I have an older M77 Ruger 30/06 ( 1974) that I had to remove the front pressure point , after that was done it would shoot tacks all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.