Ruger 10/22 accuracy

Hefwannabe

I take my son with me to the range and let him shoot the 22 from a rest. Problem is that it does not seem to shoot consistent groups. What would be considered decent for this gun at 100yds? Can something be done to improve this cheaply?

Well 100yds is a strech for a 22 with common ammo. I have a built up 10-22 with a heavy Lilja barrel thats threaded into the action the action has all the bells and wistles doen up by Clark and a Kidd trigger ,the barrel is glued into the stock allowing the action to freefloat , it'll shoot into 1/2" at 50yds all day every day with several ammo makes but at 100yds the best it'll do consistantly is about 1.5" and my 20yr old $100 Marlin model 60 will shoot right with it at that range , so go figure.
I guess what I'm saying is that its hard to expect alot from a gun that you can't load for.

As for the accuracy of your gun ,the first thing I'd replace is the trigger , next make sure that the barrel is tight and that the barrled action is thight in the stock. Just about all of the 10-22's I've played with would shoot around 1" at 50yds pretty easly.
I've got a 22 cal Encore barrel made for my son that has a 1-9 twist for shooting the 60gr SSS rounds and it doesn't like but a coupleof conventional rounds well. So you might want to try several differant bullets for it.

Maybe I should limit him to only 50yds. He loves to shoot espicially when I load up a 30 round clip. lol. We are very careful. Problem is he gets disappointed when he does not hit bulls-eye. What can you expect from a 4 1/2 year old. Anymore advice would be great. He wants to shoot my .338 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

the best way to keep kids intersted and happy with shooting is with reactive targets like the spinning plates , dueling trees and clay pigions.
Coke cans full of water are lots of fun to but make sure you take the trash home with ya. Pretty much anything that moves or maeks noise when hit generaly keeps kids attention.

I put a Butler Creek barrel and stock on my 10/22. The barrel was $220.00 and the stock, about $70.00. I also had a trigger job done, which cost about $75.00. My accuracy went from 1" to 1/2 groups at 75 yards. I was very impressed with the performance and quality of the Butler Creek barrel. I put a Leupold VX II 4.5x12x50mm with duplex reticle. I use this rifle for 10 to 100 yard shots on ground squirrles. You could really get high tec, with your 10/22, by going with all Volqurtzen parts. However, you will spend a lot of money for the same type of accuracy you could receive by going with the Butler Creek products. I spent $365.00 for the Butler Creek Barrel, Butler Creek Stock, and quality trigger job. You will spend much more if you go with other parts, your accuracy will not be any better, and you will have to wait months if you go with parts by Volqurtzen, Lilja, ect. Trust me, Butler Creek makes a really good barrel. My Butler Creek barrel is 20" long, Stainless Steel, fluted, and has a .920 straight taper. It's real easy to assemble the action to the barrel, and the action and barrel fit like a glove into the Butler Creek stock. My Butler Creek barrel loves the 40grn CCI Velocitor bullets, and they are deadly on varmints. Good luck with your 10/22, you gotta love that little Ruger.

Wildcat

Thanks for the ideas. May have to look into Butler Creek. My club does not allow us to shoot at anything except paper targets. But I think I will mention reactive targets at the next meeting. Maybe if I explain its to keep kids interested they may change the rules.

If you want to swap barrels, Green Mountain makes some of the best drop in's for the 10/22. I have used Butler creek and was not impressed. Now own a GM barrel and it is a tack driver with Fed high velocity bulk stuff you can find at Wallyland. CCI Blazer would also be something to try and cheap.

Go to rimfirecentral.com for all the info you will ever need on tuning/tweaking the 10/22.

I would say 1" at 100yds (dead calm condition) is definitely possible IF you are willing to spend the time and money to find a true match ammo to run through your GM barrel and properly fit the action to stock.

I get 2" or better accuracy using bulk Feds. Quite a few bullets cluster in smaller groups but the fliers is what gets you. That is likely due to cheapie ammo. Should be more then accurate enough to learn doping skills and hit just about anything reactive.

The WOLF rimfire is supposed to be superb and way cheaper then the Eley and Lapua match ammo. Not had success with the Fed GM stuff.

Reactive targets are superb to teach and to motivate. Hopefully, that is something your club will allow.

Jerry

Green mountain barrel, Hogue stock, Powers custom hammer, and some tricks I learned off rimfirecentral. I shoot prairie dogs consistently out past 150 yds. All done with bulk federal ammo. When just plinking, I like reactive targets. We'll usually shoot some clay pigeons for a while with our shotguns, and then shoot the pieces with the 22's.

I sold my 10/22 and got a CZ bolt action. Accuracy problem solved. I'm not a 10/22 hater, I just don't like the idea of having to buy the rifle and then spend lots of extra $ to get it to shoot. The CZ shoots right out of the box and I have talked to many others who rave about theirs, too.

[ QUOTE ]
I sold my 10/22 and got a CZ bolt action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also have to say that Marlin bolt guns are superb for the price...i have a model 25N that is about twenty years old this year that keeps on shooting! If I was to make an estimate of how many rounds I have through the gun...I would say 100,000 CONSERVATIVELY. I used to shoot the 550 round boxes every couple of days when I lived at the farm. Man I miss there!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts