Ruger #1

I have a bicentenial version of a #1 in 6mm Rem. It shoots an honest 1/2 moa. I am told that many people have not been as lucky.
They seem to have problems with the forearm bedding and the action tang.
Because of this, I am always very careful when using a rest to put presure just ahead of the action, not at the end of the forearm. I have avoided the use of a bipod, using my backpack as a rest instead.
I do use handloads. When I was developing the handloads, I was using increments of 0.3gr steps. While test firing loads I found one that had a sharp dip in group size. If I had been using larger step sizes I might have missed this sweet spot load.
The other thing I do, is I neck size my brass and I put a clocking mark on the cases using a sharpie.
I figure with a single shot rifle, it is all about the first shot, so I take the time to insert the cartridges properly clocked.
Bottom line, these rifles can be very finicky and if your willing to play around with it a bit, they will do the job. My 6mm Rem is only running 3000fps with a 100gr Sierra SPBT. It is good out to 350 yds or so. Beyond that, I will choose something else since I have other options.
I would love to have on of these in 25-06.

I have a #1B in 270 weatherby, I used it for years with great success to 500 yards, runs out of accuracy at that point, have thought about rebarreling to something else but got too many irons in the fire at this point.
RR

I notice that Pac-Nor offers a wildcat chambering in 270-300 Win Mag. They also have a reamer for 7mm-300 Win Mag.
Either one of these could be a lot of fun.

I had a no.1V a while back in 22-250(not a long range caliber, I know) . It shot ok, then I had the forearm bedded and freefloated it shot better under a half inch. I have seen some that are fantastic shooters.

If the No. 1 action is true

It will shoot very well, as I had several of them in large calibers (.375HH, 378WM, .460WM). I used to make my own wider forearms, that had large gaps to completely free the barrel. All three would shoot well under a MOA. The only problem is the small thread if one wants to chamber the larger .590" body cases.

Peter

I've just had one made into a 500NE and am awaiting the stock work . As long as it shoots a inch of elephant at 100yds then i'll be:D.

But i have the option to buy another for cheap and i have the timber from the 500NE project + the timber on th new gun so thought i would ask how you guys bed the action or forend .

JAWZ

My no.1 in 25-06 was terrible out of the box.It shot all over the place.I had the forend bedded,bought a timney trigger, and a competition hammer for it and will shoot lees than 1" groups at 200 yards with 120 grain fusion ammo. I have bought a chronogragh and I am working on a new load with berger vld's.Ruger needs a new design for forend on the no.1 im my opinion.

I'm building on currently in 7mm Dakota. It received a Kepplinger set trigger, engraving and an octagon barrel recently. The English Walnut blank is being duplicated as we speak and then on to my stocker who will fit/ finish, and checker it.

Here is the 7mm Dakota barreled action so far.

ML

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

The Ruger #1 is one of the most tempting rifles ever made.

I've been temped at least 5 times.

The first four were pretty much like being married to the wrong woman.

I spent an bunch of $ and time trying rehab each one of the four. Each finally ended up in a divorce.:rolleyes:

The 5th one was a 375 H&H. It was a truly good rifle. But who needs a 375 H&H when ya go a good shootin' 338 RUM.

I sold it to a fella and he took it to OZ and bagged a real nice buff.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.