RRA Coyote Carbine Pet loads

threejones

I just picked up a 16in RRA Coyote Carbine upper in 5.56/223 and topped it with a Leupy Mark AR 3x9. So far, I've only been shooting cheap PRC 55gr rounds just for the brass (and for cheap fun:D) I've finally got enough brass saved to make a run of hand loads. I was just wondering if anyone out there was hand loading for the Coyote Carbine, and if so what's your pet load? I'm just looking for a good starting point to start loading, plus I'm too **** busy to really spend the time testing to work up a load propperly right now. All this thing needs to be is minute-of-gopher at 200yds give or take (it's pretty much there now, but I'm sure it'll do better) Any input would be helpful. Especially if it's for a 55gr bullet, since the scope is set up for 55gr pills.

Thanx guys,
Cody

Threejones,

No, you're probably better off right here than in the general reloading forum. You'll wind up getting reloading advice from guys (however well intentioned) who have never loaded for gas guns.

Basics, here; Always (ALWAYS!) Full Length or Small Base size, and don't EVER so much as think about Neck Sizing. That right there eliminates a huge percentage of the potential problems you can run into. Buy, and faithfully use, gages to set up your dies. You want .003"-.004" set back on the shoulders, but want to keep it less than .007" or so. You need the extra clearance for reliable operation, but going to far will shorten brass life. Use the gages religiously, they're your friend. Beyond that, make sure your primers are seated at least flush, and preferably a few thou below flush to reduce the risk of slam fires. Don't forget that the AR family has a floating firing pin, and choose your primers accordingly. Thick cups, such as those on the CCI#41 or the Rem 7 1/2 will also help to reduce the risk of slam fires. Choose a powder which is correct for your gas system. H322 and N135 should be about right for the light weight (55 grain) bullets you're talking about, and I'd suggest satarting with them. With sufficient neck tension, there's no need to crimp, despite advice to the contrary. There are some occassions where it may help accuracy, but as a general rule, it won't. Just remember, most anything you can do, you can also over-do. Be gentle with it if you do decide to crimp, and don't over do it.

Anything else?

Threejones,

No, you're probably better off right here than in the general reloading forum. You'll wind up getting reloading advice from guys (however well intentioned) who have never loaded for gas guns.

Basics, here; Always (ALWAYS!) Full Length or Small Base size, and don't EVER so much as think about Neck Sizing. That right there eliminates a huge percentage of the potential problems you can run into. Buy, and faithfully use, gages to set up your dies. You want .003"-.004" set back on the shoulders, but want to keep it less than .007" or so. You need the extra clearance for reliable operation, but going to far will shorten brass life. Use the gages religiously, they're your friend. Beyond that, make sure your primers are seated at least flush, and preferably a few thou below flush to reduce the risk of slam fires. Don't forget that the AR family has a floating firing pin, and choose your primers accordingly. Thick cups, such as those on the CCI#41 or the Rem 7 1/2 will also help to reduce the risk of slam fires. Choose a powder which is correct for your gas system. H322 and N135 should be about right for the light weight (55 grain) bullets you're talking about, and I'd suggest satarting with them. With sufficient neck tension, there's no need to crimp, despite advice to the contrary. There are some occassions where it may help accuracy, but as a general rule, it won't. Just remember, most anything you can do, you can also over-do. Be gentle with it if you do decide to crimp, and don't over do it.

Anything else?
Kevin,
Thanx, that's all great info. I've been loading for bolt guns for years now, but never really bothered with it for ARs till now ( Both my kids like shooting it so much that I'm suddenly burning through rounds like crazy) I've got some H322 already, so I think I'll start with that and a box of CCI 41s. I might just pick up 4 or 5 boxes of different 55gr pills and load a full run of each. It might not be ideal for quick load developement, but it'll keep the kiddos and I entertained in the mean time. Thanx again for the help. I might PM you should I have any more questions, if you don't mind.
Thanx,
Cody

No problem at all! I'll make one other suggestion that might save you some time (and trouble) as well as help you turn out better ammo all the way around; check out Glen Zediker's book, Handloading for Competition; Making the X-Ring Bigger. Glen covers an awful lot specifically on reloading for Service Rifles/gas guns, as well as a wealth of information regarding improving the quality of your bolt gun loads. The stuff related to the gas guns is worth it's weight in gold. He's very clear in explaining why and how, as well as warning you away from any number of potential pitfalls. He did really good work here, and it's a worthwhile investment.

Give me a shout if there's anything more I can do for you. Always glad to help.

No problem at all! I'll make one other suggestion that might save you some time (and trouble) as well as help you turn out better ammo all the way around; check out Glen Zediker's book, Handloading for Competition; Making the X-Ring Bigger. Glen covers an awful lot specifically on reloading for Service Rifles/gas guns, as well as a wealth of information regarding improving the quality of your bolt gun loads. The stuff related to the gas guns is worth it's weight in gold. He's very clear in explaining why and how, as well as warning you away from any number of potential pitfalls. He did really good work here, and it's a worthwhile investment.

Give me a shout if there's anything more I can do for you. Always glad to help.
Thanx, I'll check it out too.

T J

I don't have a coyote carbine but I do have a coyote rifle RRA 20" barrel 1/9 twist which should be same as yours.I spent weeks literally trying to find a load. Here is what works for me.

Win. brass, cci small rifle primers#400, 55gr nosler ballistic tips, 26grs. Benchmark,
coal is 2.25" Vel. 3240fps. Trust me when I tell you I have a dozen partial boxes of bullets on the shelf. This rifle will shoot 1/2" at 300 yds. all day long
I have a leuopold mark AR scope 6-18x with turrets 3240 is the vel I needed to match ballistics of scope. Which is right on the money. Was in Wy. in May shooting prarie rats. Killed several at 500yds. my 2 best were at 650 dialed range in 2 shots. Hope this saves you some time and frustration.

Rick,"Shoot Straight, Shoot Once"

Cody,
I should have added stay away from Win. primers they have a tendency to go bang when bolt closes not good!
Thanx, that's the second time I've been warned about Winny primers for ARs. I think I'll stick with the CCIs. Sounds like the noslers should give me the right muzzle velocity for my scope as well (or at least close enough to it).
Thanx again,
Cody

Lake City Brass 25gr of Tac, CCI srp, most any 55gr bullet.
" " " 24.5 H335 , " " Have had good luck with both loads
and 55gr bullets, used VMAX 55gr shot very well........
If wanting to shoot something a little heavier the 60 gr VMAX with 26gr of BLC2 and above load
LC, CCI and loaded mag length.....
Enjoy.....

T J

I don't have a coyote carbine but I do have a coyote rifle RRA 20" barrel 1/9 twist which should be same as yours.I spent weeks literally trying to find a load. Here is what works for me.

Win. brass, cci small rifle primers#400, 55gr nosler ballistic tips, 26grs. Benchmark,
coal is 2.25" Vel. 3240fps. Trust me when I tell you I have a dozen partial boxes of bullets on the shelf. This rifle will shoot 1/2" at 300 yds. all day long
I have a leuopold mark AR scope 6-18x with turrets 3240 is the vel I needed to match ballistics of scope. Which is right on the money. Was in Wy. in May shooting prarie rats. Killed several at 500yds. my 2 best were at 650 dialed range in 2 shots. Hope this saves you some time and frustration.

Rick,"Shoot Straight, Shoot Once"

Rick,
I happen to have the same rifle, and I'm shooting the exact same load as you.
Also shoots Seirra 63 grain SP with amazing accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.