RPA Interceptor

nowler

hi folks

i am thinking about getting one of these rifles in 308 and was wondering what people thought of them?

don't know if they're available stateside but they are certainly available here in UK.

any thoughts, comments much appreciated

derek

Nowler, I considered one of these when looking for another "project" It was to be in 6.5x284 for long range high seat deer. However, the chaps at RPA don't make it in a long action so it had to be discounted (I have gone the customised Remmy route) The Interceptor is a very nice rifle if a little heavy, I have read elswhere that the detachable mag is "unpredictable", they now use Border Barrels who I have great faith in. On the plus side the rifle is well made and is a bargain if the cost of the Robertson stock, action and barrel are totted up, have heard only good reports on the way they shoot in any calibre.

cheers andy

i am hoping to have a spare slot for a 308 on my fac if i ever get my variation done. so i am planning on of them.

border bbls are the best, i must agree.

cheers

derek

I am in the same sort of boat, having just ordered an RPA. First off let me say RPA are great people to deal with. There are some things you may want to consider, firstly I think but please check the Interceptor comes with a button rifled barrel, a cut one cost a bit more. It is worth reading Dr. Kolbe`s (Border Barrels) commets on the difference it should be on there web site or in the articles on 6mmBR.com.

Secondly depending on use you may want to consider chamber specs and caliber options, again good information can be found on the Border Barrels web page.

I ended up with a .260 Rem (tight neck) with Quadlite Repeater action, in a AICS 1.5 stock.

RPA have a new folding metal stock of their own which is worth a look at before you order. I guess Mike would e.mail you a picture.

I also have a friend with an RPA, I think he is happy with it as he has ordered another one.
wink.gif

Derek,
Something gone wrong with your AI?
confused.gif

I must say, that I had a good look at the RPAs prior to getting my AW.

Had a chat with the factory, and actually got put through to the shop floor to chat with one of their engineers -I thought that was rather an impressive attitude to customer relations. He mentioned (this was earlier in the year) that they were thinking of bringing out a sportier version.

Had the AW not been available, I would definitely bought an RPA interceptor but in an AI stock, I think that the Robertson stock, particularly with the repeaters, are pig ugly!

Andy,

Yeah, kind of same boat, own an RPA repeater and was intending to build a fag mag(6.5 x 284 for you Brits)..mag no workie quite without adjustment...What I think I might be able to do is use a 257 roberts necked up to 6.5mm..am having a think about it anyhow..As far as the mag being unpredictable, it's the Sako TRG..umm, not too much unpredictable there..haven't found any flaws with their mag choice, I must say..Other than it isn't top loading...

Derek,

hey mate, true blue Brit eh..gotta own the RPA and the AI, I like it...

If you want to have a look at folding stocks check out Peter Jackson's wares, Jackson Rifles, he was showing one for glory at IWA which wasn't none too bad..Good guy there, Peter..

And don't none of you diss the Robertson stock too much now, pig ugly is what I look for in practical rifles...pig ugly and practical...

JR

[ 11-04-2004: Message edited by: JR ]

JR
.257 Roberts / IMP, case length 2.223" (56.72mm). Seems a long case with Sako mags taking 75mm COL. I wanted to build an RPA in a AICS in 6.5 x 55 using Lapua 139 grain Sc`s and Berger 140 grain VLD`s but the throat would need very little lead and once you start seating the bullet deep you end up better off with .260 REM and long seating the bullets.

I also had the bright idea of 7mm WSM but the bolt head on the Quadlite in the AICS don`t go.

If .260 REM or .260 REM AI is not exciting a SARUM case in 6.5 may work but the bolt head would need to be opened up and also no Lapua or Norma brass.

In the end I compromised with .260 REM but no compromise with the barrel - cut 5R, your doing it. I get the feeling RPA can and do build actions to suit more or less any case but the limiting factor is the magazine. Hope they have a long action and mag out soon.

ds

JR

I was refering to the mag release, which was a bit exposed when I last looked. I thought that it may lead to lost mags if out stalking in dense thicket.

I coudn't aggree more about Peter Jackson, his work is very good, I had him rebarrel a Tikka 595 a couple of years ago with one of your finest fast twist .224's (22-250Ackley) it returns .45" consistantly. Whilst doing the work Peter trued the action FOC, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone who want's work done.

hi folks

i am keeping the AI. it's going off to border barrels to get re-tubed to a 260rem tight neck. 30" heavy varmint taper fluted.... should be good.

thus, to fill the empty space on my ticket, i was thinking of getting an rpa in 308....

i am having a major clean out of shooting sticks, now that i am a bit more worldly wise. the 25-06 is going, as is the 222....

i think the 308 will be plenty good for general stalking and hunting, and i was thinking of a 22-250 for the roe.....

who knows. depends how far the plastic card will bend.

thanks for all the input though folks. i'll let you all know what the outcome is.

derek

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.