Rookie mistakes

Bigriverbassman

Brand new to coyote hunting. Set up on a hillside overlooking a river and stationed an mp3 caller about 30 to 40 yards downhill and downwind of us. Cranked the volume and as soon as the raspy jackrabbit squals began, a coyote ran from the cover across the river in the opposite direction. This coyote was spooked by what he was hearing and kept looking back and running. After a couple minutes of silence, the caller started up with the squals again and another coyote did exactly the same thing! I don't believe the coyotes could see us or smell us but were scared to death of the calls. Were we just too loud?

I do not consider myself an expert. But I would say if the call you were using was real loud, that was your mistake. Coyotes can hear real good. Their life depends on it. Think of it this way. You can call them in just making a squeeking or kissing sound with your lips. Hope this helps. Always start calling at a real low volume first. The less distance you can see the lower volume you should should use when you call. Sometimes when I think I can see 500 yds. a coyote will get to 50 before I see him. They use low spots and drainages or ditches to their advantage. I always call real low first, even if I think that there is not a coyote with in a 1000 yds.

was there any chance they could have winded you? first thing a coyote is gona try and do is get down wind of where the call is coming from so they can hone in on it. and if you put the call downwind of you that is wher they are gona go.......

Could also be that previous hunters have used that sound on them before and when they responded, they barely got away with their lives. Mayhap been a big warning siren to them. You'll have to try using other calls out there. Like it was stated, start low and then work up in volume.

The answer here is simple. Coyotes don't hold still very long for anyone. I don't care if you're Davy Crockett reincarnated or Byron South, they don't mean to cooperate.

While I do not prefer a loud call, this shouldn't kill you in the field.

Go easy on yourself. They arent the world's toughest, farthest reaching land predator for nothing. They got brains brother.

a few yrs back my son and i spotted 2 coyotes at about 2 miles away in a meadow mousing. we stalked to within about 1 1/2 miles and set up. i was watching thru the binocs when the call came on. it took about 4 seconds for both coyotes to jerk their heads up and look our way, then it was mach 2 in the other direction! some of them are just extremely call shy. keep trying...AJ

While I do not prefer a loud call, this shouldn't kill you in the field.

Go easy on yourself. They arent the world's toughest, farthest reaching land predator for nothing. They got brains brother.

+100! It happens!Trial and error is all part of it. The whole point is to learn something every time you go out brother.

Just keep at it. Always work on getting into stands without being seen or smelled. I start out soft in case there is a dog close by but loud isn't necessarily wrong. Coyotes all have their own personality and you never know what happened to them that morning or two weeks ago that shaped how they react. Many times I've sat a stand and glassed coyotes in 2 directions before I started calling, and when I started, one comes in as fast as he can get there while the other goes straight away at the same speed.

Good answeres put forth here but there's another possiblility. Coyotes usually come to a call for a free meal. In other words, they'r HUNGRY.
Those 2 may have spent the morning feeding on gophers, rodents, rabbits,
roadkill, etc. and already had a full belly in which case they most likely would run the other way.

Like most I am not an expert and they are very very smart so some times (Most of the time)
they win..

If I may make a suggestion :use a visual decoy (Something that moves) , place it cross wind
about 100yards away from your hunting position with the electronic call (If using one)

When you see a coyote stop using the call and leave the decoy active .

This will keep his attention away from you and make him zone in on the decoy.

If he hesitates hit the call real lightly and short .

Sometimes it will make him stand for a millisecond giving you a shot.

Have fun and don't be supprised if they win.

J E CUSTOM

+1 on being winded they have a incredible ability to sneakup on you in cover that doesnt look like it would hold a mouse . a moving deycoy is very helpful . keep up the good work . adam

the simple answer to your setup is you said you set your caller downhill +DOWNWIND!!!!! THEY BOTH SMELLED YOU. next time setup with the wind in your face and you won't be wasting your time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.