rookie dealing with possible pressure signs

i would have to agree, try and up your charge a bit. i found my sweet spot at 93.1gr of retumbo w/fed215 mag match primers. work up though, almost max in my rum.

update- for fear that this was a head space issue as some have suggested, I purchased a go and no go gauge just to rule it out. it appears no head space issue exist with the gun. Next, I will test some factory rounds to see if problem exist there.

worked up 4 loads and shot 20 rounds (5 rounds for each load) with some 185s and 210s pushed by Retumbo and H1000......all were heavier charges than all of the loads fired before. None leaked gas past the neck. No dents, creases, or gas marks.

However, all did have light ejector marks and primers were a little flat. I will drop back down a grain for each load.

thanks for the help.

Light load in magnums are trouble, in many cases worse trouble than heavy loads. I can darn near fill the case with h1000 not not get pressure signs. Load too light a load say 60 gr and your gun blows up in your face.

You also need to calibrate your scale every time you re-load if you are using a dig scale. Could be getting bad reads.

worked up 4 loads and shot 20 rounds (5 rounds for each load) with some 185s and 210s pushed by Retumbo and H1000......all were heavier charges than all of the loads fired before. None leaked gas past the neck. No dents, creases, or gas marks.

However, all did have light ejector marks and primers were a little flat. I will drop back down a grain for each load.

thanks for the help.
FWIW, I get cratered primers and soot on the case neck even on factory loads. I stop when I see shiny extractor marks.

I had the exact same problem when I started reloading for my 7mm rum. cases looked just like yours. It didn't start until I loaded the brass a second time. The problem got worse when I moved the bullet closer to the lands. I ended up leaving bullets at specified col. Mostly because I use this rifle for hunting, and seating close to the lands I couldn't fit them in the magazine. I also annealed the case necks and I have not had a case dent like that since. My rifle would do it every 10 to 20 shots no mater were I was in the load range. after annealing cases problem went away.

Light load in magnums are trouble, in many cases worse trouble than heavy loads. I can darn near fill the case with h1000 not not get pressure signs. Load too light a load say 60 gr and your gun blows up in your face.

You also need to calibrate your scale every time you re-load if you are using a dig scale. Could be getting bad reads.

i use a hornady mechanical scale but still check the level everytime I load.

i also get flattened primers in my BAR 30-06 with factory loads so I didnt know how much stock to put into seeing that on hand loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.