Rockchucker too little.??

Jake in NC

.. Hey guys.. Just got back from LDC/annual club fish fry with the .300 Tommy.. A new issue arose this trip.. Last time out all I had was a 300 Win. shellholder to use.. I know it's not the right one but it's all I had at the time and it worked OK.. Anyhow, This time I was equipped with the #38 RCBS shellholders.. Problem being that when I use the seater I can't get the loaded case out of the press.. I have to unscrew the seater a good bit to get enough clearance.. What's up.?? Am I doing something doofus.?? Thanks.. d:^) JiNC

[ 05-18-2003: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]

Jake ,

I just had the same problem.. had to get the new press by RCBS .. plenty of room....

..Crap.. I was under the impression that this Tommy would work with "normal" gear.. So much for the "economic" facet of this deal.. Hehehe.. Does the "new" press happen to fit on the same footprint as the "old" press.??

BTW.. Congrats on the long shots..!! d:^) JiNC

umm..nope not really .. but it is a whole lot better enginered.. same distance traveled by the lever but a longer stroke on the actual press. I think you can find one for around $99 .. that what I gave for it. I had that Rock Chucker for 15 years I think.. almost hated to give it up but I like the new one just as much.

AllRightyThen.. How about options..?? Is the Rockchucker the only thing that'll work for this..?? Inquiring minds wanna know..!! d:^) JiNC

I load the Tomahawk and the 338/416 Imp with a Rockchucker press.
Whats the problem again?????

When the bullets are seated in the die, they come out of the press just fine for me.

I have a fairly new and an older Rockchucker?

You guys have me perplexed. Of course, I'm like that a lot these days.
grin.gif

Later
DC

Ric

I just talked to Jake and his problem was, he had his seater die screwed down in the the press to far and was not using the adjuster on top of the die body as it's full potential.

You don't need to screw the seater die down to far in most cases. Screw it down and lock it at a position that allows you to use the FULL potential of the seater rod in the die.

I load the 338/416 and the Tomahawk with the Rockchucker and the seater die has a micrometer on top of it.
Never had a problem at all with the old or new Rockchucker press with those two cartridges.

Later
DC

DC, Ric, And Jake--
I load the Tommy on my 70's vintage RockChucker and haven't had a bit of a problem.. Mine comes out withoout a hitch...CJ

Jake,

Nope you definitly have what I have....

It is diagnosed as ..

Cranial Rectal Infusion translated...

I have my head up my ***... at least some days this early in the season I feel this way...
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.