rock hunting with 7 ultra

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by duckinalaska, May 28, 2006.

1. duckinalaska

duckinalaska Well-Known Member

All right guys, I went to the range on this beautiful day and killed some rocks. I was using 168 grain SMK's with 94.2 grains of retumbo, rem 9 1/2 primers. The sendero loves this setup and shoots them .60 @ 250 yards. This is a rock exploding @ 500 yards. Sorry guys, but my pic is kind of bad, or I just don't know how to use it. This will be my load for caribou in a couple of months.
    Sorry guys, not a very interesting story but it's the best I can do for now.
    Brandon [​IMG]

2. budlight

budlight Well-Known Member

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifI was hoping for a story about "Rock Chucks" exploding!

I used to exclusively use Sierra 175 BT's for all my 7mm shooting. I've since jumped up to the 200 wildcats.

Sounds like your dialled in.

3. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

What kind of velocity are you getting with that load and that good of accuracy

4. duckinalaska

Bud and JD,
    I'm getting around 3312 fps out of her. Hey, I was wanting to try the big 200 grainers also. How do I go about getting some and how much do they set you back.
    Thanks partners,
    Brandon

5. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

duckinalaska,
    I always like the rock busting stories! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Rock Bustin is as good as it gets for somethin' ya can't eat.

Wildcat Bullets Link

7. duckinalaska

Roy and Eaglet,
    Thanks for the kind words, you guys are two great representatives from this site that make it that much better.

Thanks,
    Brandon

8. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

That scenery will make us Okies jealous!!! I bet if a guy couldn't sleep he could just hop out of bed @ around 11:00 pm or so and go shoot this time of year up there!! Thanks for the pic.

9. abinok

abinok Writers Guild

2 words bill.. propane lantern
    You know as well as anybody sometimes the only calm times we get around here is after dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. duckinalaska

BJ and ab,
    I thought you outlaw Okies used spotlights at 11 o'clock at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you know what I mean. Just kiddin' Mr. game warden. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Thanks guys,
    Brandon

11. ceg1963

ceg1963 Well-Known Member

Brandon,

That is Sports Fire Range. If the folks down south think that is a pretty view, wow! They ougta lay their eyes on the Chugachs. I do every day right out my window, gorgeous.

Do you like that little cut (path) down the right side of the 400 yards berm? It is good for 600yds.

ceg

12. duckinalaska

ceg,
    That is exactly where I was shooting. Down the path on the other side of the wall. Hey, I'm going to be out there on Sat if you want to burn some powder.
    Brandon

13. ceg1963

ceg1963 Well-Known Member

Brandon,

Sure, what time? I've got a new project (7MM Ultra Magnum) That needs broken in.

v/r

14. mikael

mikael Active Member

what reamers are you use and what are the freebore length fore your 7mm ultra mag.im thinking to built an 7mm ultra itself,