Rock BR or Rock BR 1000 YD Model

Moman

I am looking at new rifle rests. How does the Caldwell Rock BR compare with the Rock BR 1000 YD model. I have seen the BR model for around $149 and Midway now has the BR 1000 YD model on sale for $129. Is the 1000 YD model to heavy or cumbersome or would it be better?

If your shooting from a bench you want the biggest heaviest rest you can use as it will move less especialy if your gun doesn't "track" well but if its somthing that your gonna be toting around then obvously your gonna want to balance the differance between weight/stability and portability.

here is a rest I just build for Pierre Lucas and his son that compete in 1000yd bench rest and some 1 mile shooting , its heavy around 30lbs but its rock solid , way over built for anything shoulder fired but when your shooting with the big boys you want every advantage

Pierresrest1.jpg

James

Now you know JP will never be able to carry that thing to the line. besides he is starting to discover "girls". Oh the curse.

MOman

Go to benchrest central and look on left for "complete rifles", click on it and go down the list to "Shooters Corner", then click on "THe list". That is Bob White in NJ. Call or email him. He probably has at least several used high end sinclairs, or harts for around $150 and better deal. He shoots on weekends so you will find him traveling on Fridays normally. He is also a very good source for used BR and LR rifles at a decent price, with 100 % accuracy on his descriptions.

BH

Last edited:
Well it supposed to have a slot in the front but I forgot about that , it'll be in the mill tomorrow recieving a cut. I also mentioned to Sr. that in my rest I added a flush mount sling cup in the front left side and rear left side so it can be slung over the shoulder , still leave a very clean finish , just two 1/2" little holes.

After reading about what JP and his dad have done I was honored to have him ask me to build him a rest.

Moman , sorry to jack your post but Like I mentioned before I would use the heaviest rest that is feasable for your setup. If your shooting praire dogs from a bench close to the truck then a 20+lb rest is no big deal but if your toting it around then a 8-12lb make alot more sense. A good rest top will make a bigger differance than the bottom , get aset of bags that fit your forend well and try to use a top that will allow you to kinda squeeze the bag together on the forend so that the gun recoils strait back rather than want to jump up

Mo- I own the BR1000..I have shot off this thing for 3-4 years at least. It certainly has alot of upward adjustment, which is great for the areas that I practice longrange shooting, usually uphill.

I have ran into problems with this setup though. If you want to shoot downhill, or even at a target slightly lower off a bench. You will need a taller rear bag than a standard bunny ear bag, I have one of those huge Protektor 25lb hump bags just for this.

This rest dosn't have a true side to side windage top, if that bugs you. You can always upgrade to a hoen or a shade tree aftermarket rest top. Or steer the gun with the rear bag.

The real benifit of this rest, is the upward adjustment, If your shooting up mountain sides.

I am getting into some F-class shooting, I will shoot this rest to begin with. But its really so heavy, I practially wore myself packing that and all my equimptment to the fireing line last year in 100+ degree temps. I just might get a lighter one, then again I could use some exercise.

Last edited:
I have used the Rock 1000 BR front rest with many rifles from 9 lb sporters up to 65 lb monsters. It has worked well for me and you can hardly beat the price.

I like the added weight and wider wheel base of this model over the smaller one, stability is everything and this rest offers plenty of stability yet is still portable and practical.

There are more expensive and finely tunable rests but simply put, once they are all locked down, the Rock 1000 BR will let you shoot as well as you and your rifle can provided your shooting off a solid bench. I have also used it off the ground with good results.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.