RL25 getting worse?

goodgrouper

Used to be that you could stuff RL25 into an ultra mag case and top it off with a 200 or 180 grain bullet and it would drill little groups in the paper. But I have noticed that in the last year or so, RL25 has almost morphed into another powder entirely. It is no longer the powder of choice and seems to be unrepeatable even if you do find a load that works alright on one day.

I have also noticed that it seems to be inconsistent in pressure spikes and pressure curves. Has anyone heard if Alliant has changed company policies or hired a new production manager or something or has anyone else noticed this same thing?

GG,

I certainly hope they haven't let their process change. I just ran out of my supply from last year (manuf date Feb 2006) and bought the last 5-lb jug (manuf date Feb 2007) from the Provo Sportsmans Warehouse on Friday.

I'm sure I'm no help to you as my load has not been chrono'd as much as I'm sure you did. I did run ten '06 Ackley Imp with the 180 Nos AB, Win 1x fireformed cases, Fed 210M primers, 68.5 gr, over the Ohler M33 about 3 weeks back with an AV of 2997, ES of 37 and SD of 13. I don't recall my Lo/Hi. I'm sure I'll be chrono'ing the new jub before too long and will try and remember to report my findings then.

Well, this bothers me. This was the best powder for my 25-06AI with bullets 115gr & above especially for both vel & accracy. May have to try Retumbo instead.

That is very interesting---I have about 5lbs left of a lot I got 3 years ago---sounds like I better make it last.

Did find 24 lbs of the old WMR and it works pretty well so far but have not done much testing in cold temps yet.

I have limited experience with RL19. I had one container (1lb) that proved to be the best shooter in my 7RM. After finding a load, I bought a 5lb of a different lot number and it repeated very well back to the original 1lb.

Guess I shouldn't count on this in the future. I have enough of my 5lb to get through hunting season.

Any suggestions for a powder with similar rate as RL19??

I was using RL-22 under 115 DTAC's in my 6-284 and got some extreme velocity on the high side. This happened about 1 out of 10 rounds and noticeable recoil and pressure signs confirmed chronoed velocity. Each load was hand weighed so it wasn't me. I was going to try something else anyway as my velocity was 3090 on the top end and I was getting really inconsistent pressure signs. My rifle is a CRF M 70 so the ejector opening on the bolt will shin up the case fairly quickly when pressure gets up there. There was all different sizes of shinny spots on the RL-22 loads and when I reprimed the brass the primer pockets were inconsistent which I've never had with Lapua brass. My notes aren't in front of me but the velocity wasn't that varied except for the odd high speed load. I'm not real comfortable with RL-22 and the loads I've developed with it.
Lance

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'm not the only one having problems with it. It's too bad it just ain't what it used to be. It was the go to powder for a lot of cartridges. MRP and MRP2 might just get a boost in sales!

7mmSendaro, Try Ramshot Hunter, its right next to R-19 on the burn charts. But then again, so is 4350. I really do like the Ramshot powders.
Jim

Well, in the Spring I bought 2 five pound jugs of RL 22 so I have 10 pounds of good or bad stuff, but being as I shoot so little of it at a time and have no chronograph I won't ever know the difference. As long as the antelope don't mind I don't mind.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.