RL-33 and 338 Edge

timeless61

I got some RL-33 to try, and I have not been able to find anything specific to the 338 Edge,

I know I can use RUM or Lapua data most likely,

But throats are different etc particularly in custom rifles.

So, I wanted to see what if any figures anyone else has come up with so far specifically for an edge, and if so, what is your coal?

thanks,

I'm running 97.5 gr of rl33 with a 300 gr berger and a federal 215m. Coal is 3.842. With a 28 in mcgowen barrel I'm running 2964 fps. Will shoot in the .1's at 100 yds and hold .25 to .5 moa at 700yds depending on how I'm shooting. Vertical is almost nonexistent.

I ran it up to 100 gr but the accuracy fell off big time and it was definitely over pressure. There was an accuracy node between 96-98.5 gr in my rifle with 97.5 being the most accurate.

2960fps with 97 grains????? wow I've had it all the way to 99 grains with the highest being 2825 witha 30 inch hart barrel.. u sure aabout that number??

I know I'm not expecting those kind of numbers but I'd like to see what my rifle will do around 2850. I can't get over 2800 right now with H1000 without destroying cases . I can feel Bertram brass in my future

huh... that's my elavation also.. weird your getting over 100fps faster with 2 less inches or barrel

kasey

I did the initial testing, including the drops for camaro80z. His numbers are correct, the drops and come ups are spot on at 300 400 500 and 700 yrds so far. Its actually 97.5grns and they are being jumped not jammed. I have also shot 3 groups with this rifle at 100yrds, all 3 shot groups, 2 in the .1s and 1 in the .2s, however I do refuse to give the amount of jump and chamber specs although they're nothing special. If carlock can get 3040 with 101grns of N570, then why the disbelief. His chambers are nothing magical, just like Kirby Allen said, its not rocket science. He could have also got the luck of the draw and ended up with a slightly faster barrel, sometimes worth an extra 30-40 fps. I have seen guys break 3100 with factory 338x378wby accumarks and rl33, 3130 to be exact. Just because someone elses rifle will do something, don't expect the same from yours, that's why we do TESTING!

Is anyone seeing ant temperature sensitivity? The only reloaded I have used a lot was rl-15. I noticed temperature sensitivity above about 85 f. Just curious about to try some. Most of my shooting will be 75 f and below. The other was a target rifle during the summer.

I'm well aware of testing.... I never called him a liar.. I wish I could match those states! I get 2850 with a lapua mag and 100 grains of rl33 out of a 26 inch barrel.. I guess I will try seating them in a little further.. I'm working on 3.960 right now

kasey

I can't really comment on temp sensitivity as it's been 35 degrees and below pretty much the whole time I've tested this rifle. I won't know anything til this spring. Also so far this load seems to be pretty easy on the brass in MY rifle and I'm using a bunch of Barnes head stamped 300 rum brass which I believe to be federal.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.