Rl 22 and the 6.5 wsm

HntWhtTail

So I have not posted in a while nor have I been giving my rifle enough attention. With antelope season just around the corner I realized I have 2 loaded shells left one is a 140 AB and the other a 129 sst I am going to continue work on the 129 sst, they were showing promise and I had all the info safely stored on my phone backed up online, got a new phone and reinstalled the app and it backed up everything (NOT!!!) So I am starting over ,,,I think i was loading 66 grains of RL 22 but I can find nothing online that tells me this is close. The only thing I can find is 270 wsm and two loads on reloaders nest with 130's and 70 gr and another with 58. Does it make sense that the same case with same weight bullet weight I would be safe to work near those numbers? Thanks for any help.
PS
I have a magneto speed v2 on order probably wont getr here until load development is done Ill have to use the pro chrono until it arrives.

Sorry could have made that more clear both loads were for 130 grain bullets in a 270 wsm range was 58 to 70 grains heavier bullets typically use less powder so your load of 59 grains would be consistent what caliber are you shooting?

So hit the range the other day and it was definitely
not 66 grains, I dont think the temperature being in the low 70's vs 50 last year could have changed it this much. very sticky bolt handle and primer flow into firing pin hole accurate but not safe..Start over think Ill try 60 and work up magnetto speed should be here monday cant wait I highly recommend the lrh store only place I could find one shipped right away.

If you send me your e-mail I will send you my spreadsheet of 6.5 WSM loads.

I just went to the range yesterday a tested Norma 217 with two bullets for the first time.

I have not used Reloader 22 (Reloader 25 is better suited to the case) with the 129 Hornady bullets (I just bought 300 Blems from Midway) I use R-22 in my 6.5-284. But I do have data with the 120 Ballistic Tip.

64.806 gr (4.20 gm) resulted in 3340 to 3380 depending on the seating depth and day. I keep loading this because it is accurate in my rifle.
On one occasion I tried 65.3 gr and got 3383 fps.

Norma Brass CCI250 primers

So to catch up on this thread I ended up at 63.5 grains rl 22 giving me 3425fps and accurate with the 129 sst.(this is a max load) I ended up killing an antelope buck at 545yards one shot drt they wouldnt go out any further lol ....65wsm I am pming you my email I would appreciate the load data you have.

I use h-1000 and 140 amax or 142 SMKs ans 140 hvlds in my various 6.5wsms but 66 of rl 22 sounds really high do not try those without building up from a lower base first!!!

So hit the range the other day and it was definitely
not 66 grains, I dont think the temperature being in the low 70's vs 50 last year could have changed it this much. very sticky bolt handle and primer flow into firing pin hole accurate but not safe..Start over think Ill try 60 and work up magnetto speed should be here monday cant wait I highly recommend the lrh store only place I could find one shipped right away.

Sorry guess my last reply was a bit late but guys if you are not sure about a load (especially a wildcat that does not have much info out on it) don't just go out and test it hoping for the best. Start low and build up slowly looking for pressure unless you don't really like your eyes or fingers etc... Just my 2 cents but also fairly obvious but I felt based on the above that it should be reiterated for any new shooters/reloaders who may be reading this thinking that the cross your fingers and hope is a good way to see if your recolation of a load from last year is good. This holds true for any load especially one from a person verbally or over the Internet. Check your sources make sure you see a consistent pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.