RL 19 Powders Questions!!

W

*WyoWhisper*

OK so the 300 WSM loves the stuff.. BUT I havn't used this powder enough to know if it is temp sensitive or not..
anyone have experience with it..

TIA,

Ric

Wyo,

I have used RL-19, but not extensivly. I have done tests with RL-15 and came up with
21 FPS differance for 74 degrees temp differance. I would hope that RL-19 would be similar.

The test I did was chronographing some loads with the powder temp at 70 degrees. Then I chonied some of the exact same loads with a powder temp of -4 degrees.

Let me know if you do a simialr test and what you find out. I really like the RL line of powders.

Ric , I have a 300Win mag that likes it alot to. The load I have for it is very hot , I only get about 3 loads before the primer pockets are done. I worked up the load in the early spring when it was cool and have shot it throughout the summer with no problems as far as the primers flatening out any more than normal or cratering at all.
Like I said I worked up the load at a tep of probably 50deg F and have shot it in the summer when it was in the mid 90's.

Ric,
I can't remember if I said, but the RL22 and 25 have worked out pretty good, much like Michael has said, some loads with 22 have flat astonished me. I've got some RL15 I'm starting to use (been using Varget) for the first time, hope it works well in the 308 too. Dad uses the RL19, so I'm all ears on this too.

Easy way to find out.Put a couple of rounds in the freezer and a couple near the heat vent(in the truck for those of us that can't shoot out the back door
frown.gif

Have found R15(223-77g),19(243-95g),22(7Mag-160g) and 25(6.5WSM-140g)to be the powder of choice with the only problem being a varience lot to lot.
Have not run them cold as most of my shooting is done in the hot summer sun @ prairie dogs.

MachV,

See now I like that.. I guy thats always thinking!!! I guess putting a few rounds on the wood stove isn't a good idea
shocked.gif

Wyo,

As cold as it has been at your place, leave some in your truck over night and leave some by the thermostat in the house, so you know about what temp they are. I always take something insulated to keep my loads warm while driving to the range. I put the cold loads in the back of the truck so they stay nice and cold. I like to test em around -5 to -10 and then others around +70

Regards

Wyowhisper,

I used RL15 extensively this past summer,
1 1/2lbs., to be exact. 6mm rem, 43.0grs of
RL15, 80gr nosler B-Tip, fed 210m primer.
This gave me 3538fps, and 1/4ins to 5/16th
ins group's at 100yds. All load development
and groundhog shooting took place from 70 to
90 degree's, and over the chronograph, I
did'nt have any more than 12fps velocity
spread. I did have to clean the barrel every
20 round's to maintain accuracy.
Disclaimer; this load worked well for me,
it may not work for you, work up to maxium
load's with caution.

Don

No dont put them in the wood stove,oven or microwave,you can put them in your pants but be very carefull when you jump in the truck
shocked.gif
Should have had a disclaimer on that one
wink.gif
.Not realy funny as the Ol'man somehow got a live round in the stove(the pyro used to try to burn evrything
rolleyes.gif

Would have given you specific data but after 20 years of reloading I just latly figured out that keeping records might be a good thing.I could have told you they aint very temp sensitve but that would make me sound like the hillbilly I is
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.