RL-17 for 270Wsm?

I use it in a 270 WSM, savage. 130gr SST 3300fps. Killed many deer with that load. Great load for white tail deer. Did try with 140gr BTSP and worked good as well. If I was going with 150gr or heavier, I'd go to a slower powder. IMO

I use it in a 270 WSM, savage. 130gr SST 3300fps. Killed many deer with that load. Great load for white tail deer. Did try with 140gr BTSP and worked good as well. If I was going with 150gr or heavier, I'd go to a slower powder. IMO
that charges for these speeds?

60.8 gr RL-17, WLRM primers. I use 2.225 load length measured with Hornady comparator. Start lower, did not notice an improvement with Fed 215 primers. I annealed brass after two reloads.

I did not get to Ramshot's max for Mag Pro powder and the 130gr bulllet, but their data does not use a Hornady bullet.

I used 59.5 gr, RL-17,with Hornady's 140 BTSP, it was at 3200 fps. Its a savage, shoots as good as any rifle I have.

Last edited:
I have had many problems with the Mag-Pro, with two grains of the maximum (manual brand 75.5gr) the bolt is tightened, in Win. Model 70 classic stainless, I get a speed of 3,154 fps,winchetser model 70 ,270 win. with 60gr of RL-22, is the same

I like the Barnes 130gr TTSX with 61gr of Reloader 17, 2.800 OAL. CCI250 Primer, Norma Brass
Tried several seating depths and they really perform better farther away from the lands.
3300 fps, 1/2 minute out to 500yds.
Excellent all around hunting load, never shot an animal twice.

ShortMag3

I have had many problems with the Mag-Pro, with two grains of the maximum (manual brand 75.5gr) the bolt is tightened, in Win. Model 70 classic stainless, I get a speed of 3,154 fps,winchetser model 70 ,270 win. with 60gr of RL-22, is the same

Seems to me lkke youre probably shooting losds that are too high prrssure. I dont thik I catched the weight of your projectile, but did you say you're loading 75.5gr of RL17? Whats the projectile youre shooting, and your load?

Another thing to consider is, to what size have you resized your brass to? My 270WSM loads got to be a lot more reliable when I invested on a datum line measure tool. I use Forster's Datum Dial kit. Works like a charm. I used to have a sticky bolt with my Remington 700 SPS (stainless action too) , now I use a FL die and resize .003" from chamber stretch.

Hope this helps

the charged of MagPro use was 75.5, Hornady bullet Interbobd primer wlrm, the bolt is tightened down you two like grains and continued.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.