Rings and bases for $100

Why not just buy the correct mount for whatever receiver your working on......lots simpler???

I did. It is even stamped by the manufacture "wby mk v". But for whatever reason it was made wrong. My guess if I exchanged it the new one would have been the same way. It don't matter now anyway cause I already fixed it and I think it looks good. By the work I did I even achieved more thread contact by the rear mount screws. That always bothers me when they don't reach clear through. Now the tips are just flush on the inside of the receiver bore which that in its self makes me feel better.

I did. It is even stamped by the manufacture "wby mk v". But for whatever reason it was made wrong. My guess if I exchanged it the new one would have been the same way. It don't matter now anyway cause I already fixed it and I think it looks good. By the work I did I even achieved more thread contact by the rear mount screws. That always bothers me when they don't reach clear through. Now the tips are just flush on the inside of the receiver bore which that in its self makes me feel better.

Only thing is you and we and they didnt learn the cause of the situation! It may have been machine wrong; It may have just been mis marked

We'll never know~~

The only thing that matters is they screwed up. The only question that remains is if they will make it right.

The rate my luck has been going lately plus the report of poor customer service posted earlier in the thread and no one rebuking it made my not really feel like even trying to send it back. I wasn't waiting another month if I could help it. Also I suspect it is rather uncommon for someone to put that particular rail on a mark v so they may not even know they have a problem. In the event that were the case it would take even longer for the situation to be corrected. I had to tools and know how to fix it so I did. At the same time however, if they don't at least do something to make it right I may never buy another of their products which is unfortunate because I was hoping to put that mount on other guns. I'm just glad I didn't pay the extra and go through the extra wait time to get the thing in a different finish I wanted.

The rate my luck has been going lately plus the report of poor customer service posted earlier in the thread and no one rebuking it made my not really feel like even trying to send it back. I wasn't waiting another month if I could help it. Also I suspect it is rather uncommon for someone to put that particular rail on a mark v so they may not even know they have a problem. In the event that were the case it would take even longer for the situation to be corrected. I had to tools and know how to fix it so I did. At the same time however, if they don't at least do something to make it right I may never buy another of their products which is unfortunate because I was hoping to put that mount on other guns. I'm just glad I didn't pay the extra and go through the extra wait time to get the thing in a different finish I wanted.

That total post was simply for your benefit to easy your own conscience. No more than 2 words are factually true.

You, yourself dont know of any bad customer service and why do you think you would wait a month on a return? Why do you think it "uncommon" for someone to put that particular rail on a "great" Mark 5"..??...YOU did!
Its a post for a pity party and not much more.

I, myself had the wrong rail in hand...their fault or mine?? and I needed the other length. Called them on monday morning....and mailed mine back to them on monday afternoon.....had the proper one in my mail box friday afternoon.

They are in Quakertown, PA partner...NOT the backside of the moon so I dont understand why you think swapping parts requires the Pentagons approval.....geeze

Exactly. Even if I had indexed it in on the mill and used a boring bar or some such cutter it would still need bedded to be perfect.

I don't get the correlation. Keep in mind I own a short run machine shop so terms like 'indexed it on the mill or boring bar is completely wrong and not at all doable in the first place and as an aside I see lots of that uninformed stuff on this site. Makes me cringe.

The rail must be set up for remachining with a sine bar and fixtured to the table using the bar to extrapolate the required angle. It has to be form milled or ground with a wheel cut to the radius you wish to obtain that matches the receiver or ball milled with an appropriate ball mill. Thats how it's done. Boring bars are for internal boring of holes, not radius machining.

Glad it worked out, Like Sully, I would have returned it and not cabbaged it up. It's a dead issue now. If I was the manufacturer and you returned anything to me that you 'modified', I'd tell you to stuff it.

Be careful with that mill, you are headed for a tooling crash and possibly personal injury.

Hate to start any arguments but since this was my thread to begin with let me say it the last post had nothing to do with my conscience. I just wanted to shoot this weekend so I did what I had to do. I was tired of waiting on the incompetence of others. As for what I do on my mill I understand that I have no formal training and most of what I do is probably wrong. I have also had things go wrong before and it was always with a setup that I knew was questionable to start with but I was willing to risk it due to not really having any other option. That being said, if I had felt I could not not do the operation by hand I would have jiged it up using what little tooling I have and stuck a boring bar in the boring in the boring head, run it out to the correct radius, and it would have worked fine, right or wrong. After all a radius cut such as this is simply a portion of a hole is it not?

That total post was simply for your benefit to easy your own conscience. No more than 2 words are factually true.

You, yourself dont know of any bad customer service and why do you think you would wait a month on a return? Why do you think it "uncommon" for someone to put that particular rail on a "great" Mark 5"..??...YOU did!
Its a post for a pity party and not much more.

I, myself had the wrong rail in hand...their fault or mine?? and I needed the other length. Called them on monday morning....and mailed mine back to them on monday afternoon.....had the proper one in my mail box friday afternoon.

They are in Quakertown, PA partner...NOT the backside of the moon so I dont understand why you think swapping parts requires the Pentagons approval.....geeze
I probably shouldn't take offense to this as I realize it is only your opinion. Maby this combo is common. Sorry I had a thought that was not based on any evidence, but I am only human. I realize if I wanted to spend an entire day and a tank of fuel I could have driven right to quakertown and talked to them personally but that would not have done any good at the moment if they are indeed out of stock as there website states. It did require an extra wait to get it in the first place so don't try to tell me what I say can't be right. Maby it isn't but u have no proof to what u say either.

I probably shouldn't take offense to this as I realize it is only your opinion. Maby this combo is common. Sorry I had a thought that was not based on any evidence, but I am only human. I realize if I wanted to spend an entire day and a tank of fuel I could have driven right to quakertown and talked to them personally but that would not have done any good at the moment if they are indeed out of stock as there website states. It did require an extra wait to get it in the first place so don't try to tell me what I say can't be right. Maby it isn't but u have no proof to what u say either.

You are just arguing with yourself to attempt to justify your own actions.

I am done with this thread. Sully2 I respectfully request u stay away from any of my threads in the future. I'm sorry if I upset u. I did not intend to. I'm also sorry if u did not intend to upset me but u did so I just ask that u leave me alone. Thanks, Jimmy

You should have been done with it right after your first foolish post of "fixing" a problem that didnt actually exist

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.