Rings and Base for a Leupold Mark 4????

Wisner74

Today I bought a Remington Sendoro SF 11 --300 win mag and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50 LRT. I ended up going with the regular Leupold 2 piece dovetail bases and rings. I am having second thoughts thinking I should of bought the Mark 4 Base and Rings!!!

I am wondering if the regular rings and base I bought will be fine or should I go with the Mark 4 components??? Is the weight difference a lot??

Are there any certain issues I should be aware of when mounting the scope(first time I have done it) torque, eye relief, getting the cross hairs level/plumb??? Any tips would be helpful!!!

Last thing is I am looking for a Bipod that is sturdy but light weight, any suggestions?

And if anyone has info on tuning the stock trigger on the rifle(it's the new SF 11 Sendero) that would be great. Plus any info on a gunsmith in the Reno/Carson City, Nevada area???

Thanks for the Help

Your most likey fine with what you have but with all the money you spent already why not spent a little more and anchor that sucker to your rifle.

I only use one peice bases on all my rifles. Right now I have a MK4 M5 sitting in Nightforce meduim rings and a 20 MOA base. It works great and looks even better.

First of all you got a great scope, I have a mark 4 6.5-20x50 and it is amazing. Second, there is no way that I would put my mark 4 in leupold dovetail mounts due to the fact that I had a set on a 7mm rem mag that failed while shooting, so I took them off all of my rifles and replaced with other mounts. Like the previous poster, I would recommend a good quality picatinny rail (I use nightforce rails) and a good set of rings ( I use TPS and nightforce rings). This way, you have the option of choosing a flat rail or a rail with 20 or 40 moa cant. I hope this helps.

Today I bought a Remington Sendoro SF 11 --300 win mag and a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x50 LRT. I ended up going with the regular Leupold 2 piece dovetail bases and rings. I am having second thoughts thinking I should of bought the Mark 4 Base and Rings!!!

I am wondering if the regular rings and base I bought will be fine or should I go with the Mark 4 components??? Is the weight difference a lot??

Personally, I use Burris Signature Rings and Bases. They are solid as a rock and with the varying sizes of inserts you can adjust the cant (tilt) of the scope AND they won't leave any marks on your scope.

Scopes - rings by Burris Optics

Are there any certain issues I should be aware of when mounting the scope(first time I have done it) torque, eye relief, getting the cross hairs level/plumb??? Any tips would be helpful!!!

Definitely use a torque screwdriver when mounting your bases and securing rings. Check with the manufacturer as they will give you torque recommendations (I don't have my data handy - sorry).

In terms of eye relief, check the Leupold website, they will tell you the eye-relief range for your scope. When you have your bases and bottom rings set, drop the scope into them. Then get behind the gun...prone, sitting, standing. And try to find the optimal placement for the scope. Be sure to also move through the various magnification ranges with each position. Without much trouble you will find the right place to set the scope.

You definitely need to level your scope..it's not difficult. Get a set of scope levels. I use the cheap Wheeler Engineering set and they have worked just fine (all my rifles pass reticle perpendicularity tests with flying colors)

Last thing is I am looking for a Bipod that is sturdy but light weight, any suggestions?

Harris bipod....be sure to get one with the swivel head and notched legs. you decide on the height range you like.

And if anyone has info on tuning the stock trigger on the rifle(it's the new SF 11 Sendero) that would be great.

Can't help with this other than to say google search it. There are plenty of online tutorials. You can probably find a youtube video showing you how to adjust your trigger.

Plus any info on a gunsmith in the Reno/Carson City, Nevada area???

Why limit yourself to Nevada? You can mail your gun anywhere in the US. Kevin Cram at Montour County Rifles does great work. He built my 260.....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

He is also has the contract to build my next custom rig in 300RUM.

Good luck and have fun.

look at the Seekings rings sold on this site, they are really nice, I prefer alum. for weight. I like to keep all base picatiny style for ease of swapping scopes around

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.