Ring Height?

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Dgd6mm, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I'm mounting a Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope 6.5-20x50MM on a Savage model 10 with a sporter barrel. Can any one tell me what height rings I will need. The bases are Weaver, they come on the combo models you find at Wal-Mart and such. Thanks any info will be helpfull.

Don Dunlap

2. ishootkittens

ishootkittens Well-Known Member

HIGH... 99 percent of 50mm scopes will call for high rings if your barrel is not a heavy contoured type. I think High will do just fine!

3. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

Depending on the brand of rings, medium or high.
    Most ring manufacturers have their specs online, and you can Google ways to measure your rifle and scope.

Just installed two 50mm scopes. One needed high, one was fine with medium.
    Prior to that took high rings off my .22 Savage and swapped to medium for its 3-9x50 scope. Much better result.

4. Snubbie

Snubbie Well-Known Member

If you go to Midway USA 's website, look up the Whitetail Classic and they'll have a link to connect you to "ring height specifications" or something like that.
    I would say at least medium and probably high. Most specs I've used suggest medium for the 40mm scopes I have.

edit: It's called "application charts and information" on Midway's site. Here ya go:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/content/legacy/ring_height.htm

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  5. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the quick and verygood useable info.

Don Dunlap