Ring Height ?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Nape.270, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Nape.270

Nape.270 Well-Known Member

I am putting a Sightron S3 6-24X50mm scope on my Factory Remington sps ss LA. I orderd a EGW 1 piece base and am going to order Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings.

I am wondering what height ring to order?

I think the low rings will work, but I am not sure can some on help me?:rolleyes:

2. glockman55

glockman55 Well-Known Member

I used Med. Burris signature rings with this 40mm Monarch and it's close. because of the one piece mount. a 50mm, you might want to re-think the low rings. But my set up is not the same as yours. If I was to put a 50mm on this rifle with the same rings as I used on the 40mm, I would have to use the high ones.
    [​IMG]

3. sourdough44

sourdough44 Well-Known Member

With that size bell I think you will have to go medium or even high depending on the height the bases give. Some of the scope web sites give height info for a particular scope on a gun model. Even if it's not a perfect match it will give you an idea. Of course each ring manufacturer can/will usually have a different height for their 'medium' etc. I have used medium Warne rings with a 44mm objective Burris scope but I had to position the scope so it would just clear the barrel.

4. Nape.270

Thanks guys

I have ordered the low rings all let you know at the end of the week.:rolleyes:

5. Nape.270

The low rings worked!

The burris xtr low rings are the same hight as there medium signature rings.

[​IMG]

6. glockman55

Glad to see they worked out for ya. I just mounted a Leupold 4.5-14X50 long range Vari-X III on my 7Mag today, I had to use the High rings. Now I have two rifles I have to sight in...gun)Tomorrow if the wind don't blow.

7. Nape.270

I hear ya but I dont care if its rainingcats and dogs out I got a itchy trigger finger.:D

8. glockman55

I went out a shot the Rifles today. I have a range on the back of my place. The .270 with the Monarch 3-9X40 BDC was close after bore sighting, All I had was some Rem. core lokt 150 gr. so I just got it close until I get some different ammo for that one, I don't care for Rem. ammo. The 7 Mag with the Leupold VariX III 4.5-14X50 took a little more to get it on. I was real happy with that Scope, I used 150 gr. Winchester ballistic silver tips in that one and got some 1" to 1.5" groups @ 100. not too bad for the first day.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  9. Nape.270

After braking in the barrel i shot this group i am more than happy for a factory rifle with factory loads going to get a trigger job dun, bed the action and make up some hand loads this week.:)

[​IMG]

10. DMAXNAZ

DMAXNAZ Active Member

Nape that is the exact setup I'm thinking of going with. I just ordered that same scope. I wonder if the low rings would fit on the T3?? I'm trying to base it off of your pic.

11. Nape.270

I think you will be fine if its the hunter model and probaly even the varmint model T3.