Ring Height Question

terrier72

I recently purchased picatinny bases for my rifles and I was wondering what height rings to purchase. I have two scopes and will rotate them between three rifles. I plan on purchasing the burris extreme rings, my scopes are as follows: Meopta 3-12x56 and Leupold 8.5-25x50. My rifles are as follows 2 Remington 700 Senderos and another Remington 700. My question is i want the scope to sit as low as possible, but be able to move between the rifles. The guy from SWFA said that I would need a high and a xhigh set to accomplish this. Is there anyone here who can back this up as i do not want to order and then send it back. Also where do you think is the best place/price to purchase these rings.
Thanks in Advance for any help,
JC

Do a sea ...

Do a search for "Leupold Mount Selection". It will take you to their base/rings charts for your rifles.

Best of luck,

Jim

Do a search for "Leupold Mount Selection". It will take you to their base/rings charts for your rifles.

Best of luck,

Jim
Thanks for the quick reply, I have done that however I was unsure about it because remington does not have a 56mm in anything other than a VX-L. And also on there rifles they only have a standard 700 not a sendero where the barrel is thicker.
Thanks,
JC

I've got a set of the Burris on my Win 70. It depends on the contour of your barrel. Mine is somewhat very heavy varmint but the scope bell clears the barrel by about 1/8th of an inch but it has a Ken Farrel scope base which sits up higher. The scope is a NXS with a 56 mm bell.

With the Sendero contour I'd say a set of Ken Farrel bases and Burris low rings would work with clearance. Medium rings would clear it for sure.

I'd look at the quick switch rings or whatever they are called from Leupold if youre going to be swapping the scope back and forth. The Burris arent really designed for that but could be used in that capacity youd just need to carry the correct wrench with ya all the time.

A question or 2 Why do you "want the scope as low as possible"? Does the rifle/scope combination fit you best with the scope very low? Unless you have a very short or no neck is low the best position for proper fit?
I ask only because it always amazes me how so many guys have been brainwashed into believeing that the scope must be low, rather than having your eye in the center of the ocular while in a comfortable, and more importantly, repeatable position. If you have to hunt around to find the sweetspot in your scope, you have the wrong scope height.
My suggestion is to find a decent gunshop and have them fit the scope and rings to YOU, not the other way around.

A question or 2 Why do you "want the scope as low as possible"? Does the rifle/scope combination fit you best with the scope very low? Unless you have a very short or no neck is low the best position for proper fit?
I ask only because it always amazes me how so many guys have been brainwashed into believeing that the scope must be low, rather than having your eye in the center of the ocular while in a comfortable, and more importantly, repeatable position. If you have to hunt around to find the sweetspot in your scope, you have the wrong scope height.
My suggestion is to find a decent gunshop and have them fit the scope and rings to YOU, not the other way around.

You are flat spot on with your comment. I watch many people contort their neck because of incorrect scope height and incorrect bipod height. Both of which seem to be a big handicap when making the prone shot in the field.

For me and my thick neck low scopes work the best lol. The guy asked for the lowest possible position for his scopes to sit.

Ive had high scopes and that is way worse than lower scopes. When you attempt to hold your head steady since you cant use the cheek weld or placing your hand on the cheek to elevate your head is probably a more imperfect way to shoot than any other method mentioned within this thread.

He wants a low scope mounting solution maybe he has his own reasons for wanting it but as far as wanting to know if certain rings and bases will work we've given him some ideas.

Just an update if anyone else is intereted. I ordered EGW picatinny bases and the Burris XTR 30mm low rings. The 56mm objective cleared with ease even with the thickness of the sendero barrel. THanks for all the replies and suggestions.
JC

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.