Rimfires-using as trainers "keeping it real"

top predator

IMHO, it is not only is more affordable, but shows up any shooting flaws with more visibility, especially shooting . so since i've been tinkering with the .22 heavily over the last 2 years, i thought i'd send some .308 down range to see if there was improvement.

beginning of last year, was averaging 5shot groups with the .308 at 100 = -1". this year .6"

beginning of last year, was averaging 5shot groups with the .308 at 200 = -2". this year 1.5"

the same goes for all distances up to 550 yards where i start going above MOA. improving my 5shot centerfire groups by .25 to .75 inch or more.

seems all that affordable shooting with the .22lr paid off better than i thought, and by approaching the .22lr in a serious manner (rifle, ammo, and technique) has paid off in the centerfire arena.

i know it's been talked about before, just wanted to throw in 2 more cents, and will probably be doing more rimfire stuff in 2010 than ever before.

alot of folks ask me why i'm "playing" with the .22, that i should stop playing with "toys" and go back to the "real thing".

looks like playtime paid off!

I can agree with that. It's more trigger time, cheap lol. Especially helpfull in reading wind @ 100 - 200 yds. Fun too :). I just built a tricked out 10/22 for that purpose this year, and also use my .17 HMR for this type of practice also. Keep it up.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.