Rimfire Ruffeds

CoachChris

Howdy All, Well it's that time of year again. Work is slowing down again (not that it ever got busy) and the grouse are in season!

Got out the first 2 days with my hunting husky mutts and my favorite .22LR. No sense in carrying a shotgun since the grouse just fly into the trees and stay put.

The wolfdog was hot on Ruffeds and we never got up high enough to get into Duskys. We limited out both days in not more than a couple miles of walking. They sure do make for great off hand practice and their heads are tiny targets in a 4X32 scope.
Day 1
SDC10396.jpg

Day 2
SDC10399.jpg

Never heard before of grouse hunting with a .22LR, shooting them in the head while they are sitting on trees. Sounds fun to me. The dogs look very proud of the hunt!!! They must have had a good time.:D
Keep up the good hunting and the pictures coming.

Never heard before of grouse hunting with a .22LR, shooting them in the head while they are sitting on trees. Sounds fun to me. The dogs look very proud of the hunt!!! They must have had a good time.:D
Keep up the good hunting and the pictures coming.

i didnt know that people shot them with shotguns until I had been hunting them for about 5 years and over 50 birds later! I still take the .22 LR over the 410 most of the time. looking into a 20guage autoloader though.

Those are some nice ruffies and good looking dogs... Im trying to get the wife to let me have a german short-haired pointer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.