Rimfire advice. .17 choices/22 choices

FWIW, I have a new Marlin XT22VR and it's looking to be quite accurate...I'm still playing w/ it and haven't been able to totally see what it can do, but it's one hole @ 25 yrds all day long. An 8" gong at 100 is no problem.

Sometimes you just get a reeeeally good shooting gun.

Albeit this is probably average for a Cooper, but don't knock Savage.

Yupper, average for a Cooper, at least the ones I've had.
I've read a lot of good things about Savage rifles, just as we read about Remington and others, that sometimes produce really accurate rifles right out of the box. My experience has been that most of these rifles usually produce MOA+.
My rimfire Coopers have shot half MOA or better.

There is a guy in Driggs, ID that accurizes Savage rifles, including the rimfires. He says his rifles will shoot around that half MOA mark, and you can buy one direct from him and have him accurize it. There might be a small package discount, if I recall correctly. I also recall that these rifles were substantially less than a Cooper, but in the end you still have a Savage.

I'm a huge Cooper guy. They get a bunch of my money. They are fantastic firearms. 2 years ago I won a Savage 17hmr at a banquet. It has poor fit and finish. The plastic trigger group is cheesy. The thumbhole stock is weird. It shoots laser straight.

Does it shoot as well as a Cooper? No way. But if I'm going to put a <150 yd shot on a critter, and I may have to crawl up a bit, or I'm walking through the woods or some thick crap, I almost always grab the Savage. It is accurate enough to be within margin of error when field shooting, that's for sure. Plus I don't mess up my pretty walnut!

As far as cartridge, I used to pop critters with the 22lr. They ran a lot, even with good shots. With the 17hmr they typically DROP. Good cartridge.

Savage has built their reputation on value and accuracy. For the most part, Savages outshoot anything and everything else in their price range. They keep the prices down by not bothering too much with cosmetics or fit and finish. They use a decent action and a good barrel, and the rest is well... the rest.

I'm not a huge Savage fan, but all the Savage rifles I've owned or shot, shot well, especially for the price. Now if they could learn how to make a decent synthetic stock....

Well we just did some shooting today, and I'm sure this Savage is about as good as its gonna get. It held a 1.5" group at 100 yards. CCI Vmax's 30 gr. At 50 yards, it will shoot the same hole, litterally all day long. Once you hit 75 yards, the group starts to open up to around 3/4". I honestly think the .17 HMR will easily outshoot the .22 mag as far as flatness, but also in accuracy. I guess I'm to the point now, and NOT calling anyone out, but I don't think its TYPICAL, like I hear a lot of individuals say, that thier Savage 22 mag, or any 22 mag for that matter, (beside a custom build) will shoot .5 moa at 100 yards. Not saying there aren't any out there, its just not typical. Because of all the hype I heard and read about people with .22 mags that will shoot .5 moa at 100 yards, I bought one. Well, it doesn't shoot that well. My whole idea behind buying this gun was to shoot Coons that were skidish out to 100 yards or 150 yards. Its possible at 100 yards, very easliy actually, but not 150 yards. I honestly believe that their is not a more accurate gun out of the box than a Savage, but I just wish I would have purchased a .17 HMR in a Savage. Although wind has a huge factor on the .17, it is very rare that we have any wind at night this time of year while coon hunting. Oh well, guess I'll sell the .22 mag and get a .17 HMR..... in a Savage of course. Thanks for all the replys fellas.

Shooters, have you tried the 33 grain Remington Premiere Accutip load in your .22 mag?
I know you said you tried a bunch of loads, but the Accutip stands alone as the closest you can get to "match grade" .22 mag ammo. Even Cooper uses that load for accuracy testing in their rifles.
It IS very expensive for .22 mag ammo, but worth every penny. Try it, and it may just squeeze into MOA at 100 yards. It's loaded quite hot at 2000 FPS, and I'm sure it will fold coons quite nicely.

When I had my Savage .22 mag, it did the exact same thing as yours. The first thing I found was they're very picky about how tight you hold them. TIGHT. Most loads would be around 1/2" at 50 yards, 1.5-2.5" at 100.

I held that gun good and tight, snugged it into my shoulder, and punched a nice clean 1 inch group at 200 yards with the Accutips. Followed it up by headshooting a few ground squirrels at around 130 yards.

Loads I tried before the Accutip? Winchester 40 gr. JHP, Winchester 45 gr. Dynapoint (crap), Winchester Supreme 34 gr. Power Point, CCI 40 gr. Maxi-Mag, CCI 30 gr. Maxi-Mag TNT, CCI 30 gr. Maxi-Mag+V, maybe a few more.

The Accutip blew them all away.

Awesome info. Didnt even know there was the 33 grainer. If I can find it, I will order it and try it. I will report back as well. Thank!!!

Jason

It's one more thing to try before selling the thing. Good, consistent ammo. Might be just the ticket.

Like I said, hold it good and tight too.

my savage 22wmr will shoot .5 to .75 all day long at 100. I have the stainless bull bbl and thumbhole stock. Reminton 39 grain IIRC. It will group MOA at 300. Nothing special done to it. It just shoots.

IIRC means "If I Recall Correctly".
I googled it, and Remington doesn't make any 39 grain loads. Maybe he's thinking of the 33 grain Accutip as well?

Hey,

First, I must say that what I was doing was in no way "precision" or long range shooting. It took my snith & wesson 15-22 (.22lr of course) with BSA's sweet .22 scope on it(bad decision by the way, not a good scope) and sighted it in at 50yd. Then used the adjustments on the turret for the 100yd target. Not only did it not put it on, but it didn't return to zero. Anyway, I rezeroed it at 50yd and then shot at a sinder block at 200 with just hold over. It worked fine, but I was holding ove nearly 3 feet! Still, I was able to hit the target with no problem.

I have a friend that has a Savage 93 in 22 mag with the bull barrel. I was not to impressed with it and I am HUGE Savage fan. My plain jane Marlin 925M wjith 40gr CCi HPs will out shoot it all day long. IMO opinion, Marlin has their poop together with the Rimfires. I bought it primarily as a Coon calling rifle, but I have found myself brining it into the field for Ghogs, sparrows, Crows, and 13 stripped ground Squirrles ( a hard target at 100yds with a 9x scope.) My longest kill with it was a Ghog at 147yds. At least for me, that is a poke with a 22 mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts