Rim thickness gauge?

bowhunthard88

Does anyone use the Sinclair or Hornady rimfire thickness gauge that attaches to a caliper? I was debating on getting one for my .22s and .17 HMR. If anyone does, does it make a difference? What are allowable variations?

Thanks.

That question is discussed in detail at rimfire central.

Generally, most think it is a waste of time with the new higher standards of quality today. They are not seeing the big variances that they did 10 years ago.

More effort is spent in finding the "right" ammo for your gun. Not always is the most expensive the most accurate either.

BH

Thanks for the heads up and the website. I am getting <0.5" groups @ 100 yds. now, with 3-shot groups with all holes touching possible. Just was wondering if this was a viable way to increase my accuracy potential somewhat.

Hornady 17 gr. V-MAXes @ 2435 fps. :D

Tried everything except for the 17 gr. TNTs. Not real impressed by CCI's ammo lately tho. :rolleyes:

It's a factory Savage 93R17 BTV with a 6-24x40mm A/O Tasco on it. The rifle is only available from JSC supposedly.

IMG_2413.jpg

Thanks.​

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.